Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Californian looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 08:59 PM
Dustman345
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Californian looking for advice

I am stuck in the lovely state of California and all the B.S. emissions crap that goes with it. I was wondering how much hassle other Californians are getting for their "race" exhaust systems?

I do not want to buy head pipes to just have to take them off all the time because I am getting a ticket for it. I know they are not currently requiring smog checks on motorcycles but how often are people getting ticketed for it?

Just trying to decide if I want to go with an obvious head pipe swap like V&H power duals or something I can hide under my stock heat shields like the Jackpot 2/1/2. Any advice you all could offer would be appreciated, thanks!

Old 12-07-2016, 09:01 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

I don't think many people get ticketed for having aftermarket pipes. If you ride like an a-hole, revving your engine at stoplights, you'll probably get hassled. I wouldn't worry about it.

The following users liked this post:
Dustman345 (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 09:12 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Two years I've had a full V&H system on my Limited, not so much as a glance from the law. Haven't heard of anyone getting stopped either.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Dustman345 (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 09:25 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,254 Likes on 11,139 Posts

Op: what do you consider a "race" exhaust system. IMHO, some are just obnoxious, and don't do anything for performance.

With that, I've never heard of anyone getting harassed for aftermarket non-EPA systems...including me with a full V&H system.

Dustman345 (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 11:08 PM
Dustman345
Novice

I just used the term "race" because the websites seem to qualify the aftermarket pipes "for race purposes only".

Thank you guys for the replies. I do not plan on riding like an A-hole so this makes the decision easy.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:58 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustman345
I just used the term "race" because the websites seem to qualify the aftermarket pipes "for race purposes only".

Thank you guys for the replies. I do not plan on riding like an A-hole so this makes the decision easy.
BTW, I'm just curious, why are you stuck here? Is someone making you stay? Can't you just move where you want?

Old 12-08-2016, 08:06 AM
Dustman345
Novice

Originally Posted by Road Star
BTW, I'm just curious, why are you stuck here? Is someone making you stay? Can't you just move where you want?
Yeah I could move. For the most part I like southern California minus the gun and emission laws. I got a decent job, both my and my wife's family are here, when the wife and I talk about moving we can never decide on the same place, etc. So stuck was probably a poor choice of words.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:31 AM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Run what you want. If you believe what you read you'll think we have exhaust police out here.

Dustman345 (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 09:36 AM
Hellbilly562
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13,166 Likes on 5,400 Posts

Road Star is correct.....ride like an idiot...get treated like one.....I haven't had any issues other than finding vendors who will sell and ship to California....all they need to do is have buyers sign a disclaimer....it's not that complex.....other companies are doing and some even still making them here in California......

Beach city cops such as Huntington Beach are known to be ******** and revenue generators and will ticket you.....but I don't like the beach or the cities so I don't go there....

Originally Posted by cdonis
Run what you want. If you believe what you read you'll think we have exhaust police out here.
Visit Huntington Beach.....they're there......I have a few buddies who have been ticketed there and they're luggers....they don't get on it like the young bucks....

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 12-13-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Dustman345 (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 08:44 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellbilly562
Visit Huntington Beach.....they're there......I have a few buddies who have been ticketed there and they're luggers....they don't get on it like the young bucks....
I should have added a disclaimer. I was speaking from my experience, that said I tend to ride in the valley, and foothills. That would suck to deal with the muffler police. What are the tickets based on? Epa stamps, or decibels they are measuring. I'd assume the first.

Quick Reply: Californian looking for advice