Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Valves, and cylender heads

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 10:24 PM
Jimbohuffman
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valves, and cylender heads

I have a 1980 iron head xlch 1000cc. It's My first Harley. I bought it in December of 2015. I rode it home after I purchased it. The ride was about 120 miles. I blow through a quart and of oil,v and fouled out a set of plugs. My uncle told me it had bad rings and needed a to end rebuild. So 3 days later I bought the manual and tore the top end off, the rings feel out when I pulled the cylenders off. The cylenders were scared deep. I took and had them honed and bored over .020 I ordered the me piston and rings and a complete gasket kid for the bike.
Two days after placing my order I was incarcerated for 12 months for a DUI. While I was in jail, my brother moved the bike to his house. I've still got all the parts and hardware thank God. But he moved the cylenders heads and now I don't know which head goes on which cylender. The bolt pattern is different for the cylenders then self so I can't mess those up. Does any one know off a way to determine which head goes on the front and which go on the back??????????

Old 03-10-2017, 01:22 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

The head with the exhaust exiting in the front, goes on the front. The head with the exhaust exiting in the back, goes on the back. BTW, it's spelled cylinder.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:28 AM
Jimbohuffman
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am aware that it's spelled cylinder, I wasn't aware that I miss spelled it in the post. Thank you for pointing it out. Now the next obvious question is. How do i know if it's the exhaust side. Both ports seem to be the same diameter. Like I said this is my first build and I am ignorant to this. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:59 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below... For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sporsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 03-17-2017, 12:45 PM
martinj
Club Member

Received 15,167 Likes on 6,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbohuffman
I am aware that it's spelled cylinder, I wasn't aware that I miss spelled it in the post. Thank you for pointing it out. Now the next obvious question is. How do i know if it's the exhaust side. Both ports seem to be the same diameter. Like I said this is my first build and I am ignorant to this. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Quick and dirty: The ports with the big valves are the intake ports. The ports with the small valves are the exhaust ports.