Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

cam change very loud ticking

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 01:15 AM
HARLEYFLSTSITIM
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam change very loud ticking

I put in an andrews 26g cam today along with adjustable push rods. Motor fired right up however there is a very loud ticking sound coming from the valve train. Is this common?

Old 06-17-2007, 01:19 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: cam change very loud ticking

Join the club.

I put in 26G's 2 years ago. They are quiet when the bike is cold. When it gets hot, it sounds like a diesel. I consulted with the "experts". They told me to swap lifters, adjust the pushrods this way and that way, and add one of the famous Baisley springs. I did it all. Nothing helped. At first, the noise drove me nuts. Now I am used to it. BTW, I have talked to several other using 26 cams that have had the same results.

Old 06-17-2007, 02:03 AM
HARLEYFLSTSITIM
Cruiser

is it loud enough that you can hear it over the engine coming down the street? mine is.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:01 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

No, I wouldn't say that it is that loud.It's only noticeable at an idle. Are you sure your lifters have pumped up?

Old 06-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Sleeps In Trees
Road Master

Check pushrod adjustment. (Been there/done that.[8D])

VicW.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:04 PM
Dirtrace95
Cruiser

sounds like you need more preload from the pushrods, ie too loose, Should
be no noise. Those cams are made to run with stock push rods. The stock
rods give the right lifter preload if you havent milled the heads or something like that.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:16 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

The cams aren't loud it's probably your gear drive not set up correct and no extra oil pressure from the spring is going to fix that problem

I never never never use adjustable push rods unless it's absolute necessary. It's justone more thing that can and willcause problems down the road. Why spend the extra $150.00 if it's not needed, even if you mill .060 of the head buy the SE perfect fit rods, they don't flex and no need to adjust or chance of coming out of adjustment by a lose locking nut.

The 26 camshould not be any louder than a stock cam...if it is it wasn't done correctly....bottom line.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:27 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

my last bike had an andrews cam in it, and had a noticeable (not loud) ticking from the right side. My indy said that it was due to using the andrews supplied cam gear, and not putting the HD gear on the andrews cam.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Your talking about the EVO motor......yes the cam gear had to be fitted to the pinion gear which is a time consuming project so if you just pressed of you stock gear and installed it on the Andrews stick it saved time but then (and ever time a EVO cam is installed) the cam timing has to be checked.

Old 06-17-2007, 04:47 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Doc 1

The cams aren't loud it's probably your gear drive not set up correct and no extra oil pressure from the spring is going to fix that problem

I never never never use adjustable push rods unless it's absolute necessary. It's justone more thing that can and willcause problems down the road. Why spend the extra $150.00 if it's not needed, even if you mill .060 of the head buy the SE perfect fit rods, they don't flex and no need to adjust or chance of coming out of adjustment by a lose locking nut.

The 26 cam souls not be any louder than a stock cam...if it is it wasn't done correctly....bottom line.
Couldn't agree with you more on the pushrod use Doc, it is really a very small issue to pull the covers and rockers/support plate, by the time you mess with adjusting thepushrods you can have the top apart and back together again, cant speak for the 26 cams, but the 37's I have installed were all quiet, woods cams, now that's a whole new can of worms.

Quick Reply: cam change very loud ticking