Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

113 inch stroker

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 03:52 AM
Thundercatken
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 113 inch stroker

ORIGINAL: Doc 1

The HTTC CNC heads are designed for VERY high rpm running...other wise they don't have the port velocity to get the job done in the low to mid range where ever one rides........the ports are too big, bottom line!!!! Bigger is not always better and in this case this holds TRUE!! If your building a bike to run at 7000 rpm then by all means get them cause thats all there good for. Just facts gentleman, do as you please!!!
Well ... everybody is entitled to their opinion ... and I will admit that I am not the most knowledgable whendealing with Air Cooled V-Twins specifically ... but after30 years of drag racing everything from brackets with my Hemi Roadrunner, to pro stock to eventually "BB" Alcohol FunnyCars ... I do have a fair amount of experience in what makes an engine go. Even got 100 or so runs in a AAA Fuel Rail. Unfortunatly, the program's sponsorshop ended and that part of the racing program was eliminated. Coldn't affor running one of those on my own.

I won a lot of races where I actually had a lower top speed than the guy in the other lane ...all because I had more low end, I was able to attain my speed quicker. Common statement being "It's all about the torque".

The real power in the torque curve on HTCC CNC heads with the 260 Cam runs from roughly 2700RPM ... peaking around 4500 then gradually drops from there. With the 257 cams, it is roughly 300 RPM Lower. You can develop a multitude of different power curves with different cams. Yes, you can run different heads with smaller ports and get better low end at the sacrafice of top end. BUT ... if you re-read my other pos, I did point out that the OEM performance parts were all a bit of a compromise.Good all around performance, reliability and repeatable results.

Now ... it is true that the port size vs velocity is extremely important as to what RPM you create your power at ... and there are heads that produce better bottom end at the sacrifice of top end and visa-versa. I own a set of R&R heads. I know exactly what they are and their flow characteristics. I took a good long look at them before I bought them ... and I figured that for $1,000 they were worth a try.

But the statement about SE HTCC CNC heads being good for only 7000RPM is ridiculous , juvinile and an extreme exageration. Doc ... you obviously have an ax to grind with HD. But, Please don't be stupid about it. It is true .. they are not good for 2000 RPM, but like just about everything else in life, nothing is perfect. There is almost always a compromise. If you want great power from 2000-4000 rpm, youbuild an engine one way ... if you want top end, you build an engine another way. Everything else is a compromise. The SE HTCC CNC heads are decent all around, hi flowingheads. Not the best, definately not the worse.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:45 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

You would make a good.....no..... fair politican, my ax is with people like you that come on these boards and tell people that this works andthat works but the hole time you are giving them information that will disapoint them in the end.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:57 PM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Doc on this one. We have recieved many e-mails of people who have tried differant heads and combinations and are not satisfied with the factory stuff for the reasons Doc mentions. Ask Latus and Joe's Cycle how easy the R&R stuff tunes and how cool it runs and then take your R&R equipped bike and run against someof the SE stuff and see how much quicker you get there.[/align]

Old 06-28-2007, 12:55 PM
tarheelrdr
Tourer

I have the cyl.s & pistons that you show. Mine make a lot of noise, piston slap. indys have told me that the piston to cylinder measurements are way off on the moco parts. better check around. If I had it to do over again I would go with headquarters or gmr.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:00 PM
mswenor
Intermediate

Fat2K, Look at Zippers 113 muscle kit.I hadmy Fatboydone 2 months ago by them and could not be happier. It dyno'ed at 126 hp and 132 TQ. They also installed the thundermax with auto tune. If you don't plan on putting velcro on the seat go with Harley products.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:39 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who is R&R and do they have a website?

Old 01-20-2008, 02:19 PM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

http://www.rrcycles.com/

Old 01-21-2008, 10:43 AM
bigjohn1percenter
Tourer

DOC1, correct me if i'm wrong, but a 4.060 bore x 4.375 stroke would still be under square ???????? to be over square the bore would have to be larger than the stroke ?????????????

Old 01-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

That is Correct Big John

Old 07-22-2014, 10:59 PM
mr_natural78
Tourer

Originally Posted by Doc 1
The HTTC CNC heads are designed for VERY high rpm running...other wise they don't have the port velocity to get the job done in the low to mid range where ever one rides........the ports are too big, bottom line!!!! Bigger is not always better and in this case this holds TRUE!! If your building a bike to run at 7000 rpm then by all means get them cause thats all there good for. Just facts gentleman, do as you please!!!
I disagree. The CNC htcc heads work very well on my 113 dyna. I rebuilt it this past winter....but before the rebuild, with SE htcc 4.060 Bore pistons, mik45, and s&s 585g cam the bike made 116hp/127tq. It broke 100tq at 2600 rpm and stayed above 100. The htcc heads have been loved on by wfo Larry now and the combustion chamber was done by Axtell to match their 20 degree pistons. Still running the 585....for now. Not sure what it's making now it hasnt been on the dyno yet.