Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

UGH! What build for 110 square?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 08:03 AM
mtcraigco
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UGH! What build for 110 square?

Hey all, been looking here for info on the 103 stage kits and other options. More confused now that ever.

Im trading my 09 Rocker with a 103 stage 2 in for a new Fat Bob, want more torque. Im looking for 110 easy and more if I can get it. I'll trade off a bit of top end for low end but dont really want to go the other way. I LIKE low end grunt and most of my spirited riding is stop light-stop light stuff

So, I dont think I like what I see with the SE 103 Stage 4 kit, but it could work with other cams. So curious about that, what other cams really get that to pop?
Ive seen 257's Woods and andrews 48s?

OR

I may just build my own, I can do the work easy enough with a shop manual and some patience, I figure a power commander will control the AF just fine and minimize tuning, yes? What special tools would I need?

Ive looked at Zippers 103 muscle kit and it seems pretty good but spendy.

What about a 107 cylider kit and some S&S heads with an appropriate cam?

Id like to do a stroker but don't really want to get into the bottom end.
(unless its not really that much of a pain in the ***)
Looking for max bang for effort invested, and that means top end kit if Im right.

So, Im open to any ideas and suggestions that'l get me 110/110 or better as a base line

Thanks all in advance :-)

PS What about the Timken conversion, is that a pain?

Old 07-10-2011, 08:28 AM
Wild Grover
Cruiser

Check out www.protwin.com for cams or complete kit. Kevin will get you fixed up. There is also a forum there for any questions.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:01 AM
bigjoe1
Advanced

Lots of options out there for what your looking for. I would probably stay away from the Screamin Eagle stuff. If it were me I would get a good set of heads like Hillside Stage 2 or equivelant, Wood Tw-6 cams and a good exhaust will put you right where you want to be.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to confuse you even more, this is a dyno from another site. It's a 103" with Baisley Heads, TMAN 590 Cams, high flow AC, Baisley ported T body, and a Fat Cat. 116.8 tq/114.8 hp. The owner had the crank reworked by Dark Horse. Real nice torque curve, reaches 100 torque at 2500 rpm. Must be a blast to ride.

There are plenty of shops that can get you where you want to go. Hillside, GMR Performance, Cycle Rama (their CR575 cams work real well), and the list goes on. Pick up the phone and start calling around. You'll find a shop owner that you'll click with and the process will begin. Good luck.

Last edited by Weevil; 07-10-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:55 AM
streetg131
Tourer

Plenty of sponsors on this site can get you there. Plenty of reputable shops not on here out there too. I'm no expert but a little more compression, cams and get it breathing better(intake + exhaust) and you should be set.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:18 PM
mtcraigco
6th Gear

Thanks for the replies so far. :-) Several real good directions to go already.

As to the SE stuff, yeah, IM kinda out of love with the kool aide on that, thought I had a real torqey bike with 99/95 (if I recall correctly) that my 103 stage 2 puts out but it's kinda weak down low and is kinda peaky, not a flat curve at all

I didn't know any better at the time and I cant say I dont enjoy it, I just know there's alot left on the table by the SE stuff.

Ive seen so many combos from after market that blow it away I think I'm gonna leave the SE stuff at the dealership.

Thanks again, keep the suggestions comin

Old 07-10-2011, 01:45 PM
streetg131
Tourer

The only advantage to the SE stuff is your dealer might , and I stress might, depending on what mods you get, honor your warranty. Thats why I waited till now on my 07 B4 really bumping up the power, I waited for my warranty to expire. I never really needed it as it turned out but my 88 softail had some serious warranty work done on it back in the day.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:19 PM
jpace024
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bore your stock jugs to 107", headwork, wood 555 cam for low end, should put you right where you want to be. Here's my chart with the 8-6 cam.

Attached Thumbnails UGH! What build for 110 square?-107sae.jpg  
Old 07-10-2011, 03:31 PM
mtcraigco
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jpace024
Bore your stock jugs to 107", headwork, wood 555 cam for low end, should put you right where you want to be. Here's my chart with the 8-6 cam.

I couldnt open the thumbnail, not enough posts i gues.

Those are great numbers in your sig though, I assume same bike. That'd be bitchin.
How flat is the curve? HOw soon does it make good TQ?
How does it "feel" seat of pants? Especially rolling into it?
( Im not a clutch dumper)

Old 07-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by mtcraigco
Hey all, been looking here for info on the 103 stage kits and other options. More confused now that ever.

Im trading my 09 Rocker with a 103 stage 2 in for a new Fat Bob, want more torque. Im looking for 110 easy and more if I can get it. I'll trade off a bit of top end for low end but dont really want to go the other way. I LIKE low end grunt and most of my spirited riding is stop light-stop light stuff

So, I dont think I like what I see with the SE 103 Stage 4 kit, but it could work with other cams. So curious about that, what other cams really get that to pop?
Ive seen 257's Woods and andrews 48s?

OR

I may just build my own, I can do the work easy enough with a shop manual and some patience, I figure a power commander will control the AF just fine and minimize tuning, yes? What special tools would I need?

Ive looked at Zippers 103 muscle kit and it seems pretty good but spendy.

What about a 107 cylider kit and some S&S heads with an appropriate cam?

Id like to do a stroker but don't really want to get into the bottom end.
(unless its not really that much of a pain in the ***)
Looking for max bang for effort invested, and that means top end kit if Im right.

So, Im open to any ideas and suggestions that'l get me 110/110 or better as a base line

Thanks all in advance :-)

PS What about the Timken conversion, is that a pain?
Ridgidthumper,(fellow forum member) lead tech, for Gail's Harley-Davidson, Grand View Missouri, showed 129 hp, 120 ft/lbs with one of our 107" kits/combo's on his personal Road Glide.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.

Quick Reply: UGH! What build for 110 square?