Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Making Stock Exhaust louder?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:52 AM
jm35ny
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Making Stock Exhaust louder?

Hi guys, I have a 07 Softail Custom thats completely stock. I even really like the looks of the stock exhaust and mufflers,but just wish it was alittle louder. Is it possible to drill out the stock mufflers or do something else to give make it sound like a real harley. Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:04 AM
wesd41
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Making Stock Exhaust louder?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...spagenameZWDVW

Contact this guy. I've read good things about him on the forum. Don't know if he modifies anything but touring mufflers, but it can't hurt to ask.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:39 PM
TGrahamVA
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The easiest thing to do to stock mufflers is to knock a hole through them. Get some allthread from the hardware store1/2"or 3/4" about 3 feet long and 2 nuts, thread the nuts on 1 end of the allthread and tighten them together like you were going to pull a stud. then shape the other end with a grinder get it almost to a point. Take the mufflers off and stand them on the input end on a block of wood and drive the allthread through the baffles, when it is through use the nut to back them out of the hole you just made. This works fairly well start out small and that way you can get the noise level just where you want it.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:26 PM
jm35ny
Tourer

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I`m going to take the stock mufflers off and get a closer look at them and i might try your suggestion of knocking a hole in them. Thanks i`ll keep you posted.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:03 AM
norton
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't even take mine off, I just used a long craftsman screw diver and knocked the baffle plate out. Sounds great and couldn't tell any difference in performance either.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:10 AM
Chief101
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Early on in getting my bike, I also opened up the stock exhaust by punching a hole in the baffles. Yeah more sound, but it was "tinny" sounding......and performance eventually went down.
Best advice I can give is from "been there done that"....find some slipons on ebay or somewhere and try them. You will be better pleased. Sometimes you can still find the old HD screaming eagleII's out there, they have a good deep sound.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:01 PM
jc_texas
6th Gear

Just take them off to knock the baffles out and forget to put them back on. Then go for a ride and enjoy the noise.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:18 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: coolrays615

Best advice I can give is from "been there done that"....find some slipons on ebay or somewhere and try them. You will be better pleased. Sometimes you can still find the old HD screaming eagleII's out there, they have a good deep sound.
Gotta agree with that.

Heck, you bought a $20k motorcycle. If you want pipes, buy some.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:24 PM
juniors05RK
Intermediate

Take my advice, the guy wesd41 referred you to, STAY AWAY. I bought a pair for my 05 Road King and it sounds like a Harley under water. I'm looking for some Rush slip-ons now, but after reading some of the forums on exhaust, I may go with the Cycle Shacks.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:06 PM
jm35ny
Tourer

Thanks for the replies everyone. The whole reason that i wanted to make the stock exhuast louder is that i really like the looks of the stock pipes. Its not cause i`m cheap, i just paid over $16,000 for a bike. I think i`m going to try and knock the baffle out of the stock mufflers and see how it sounds. If i`m not happy with the sound then i`ll buy some slipons and try that. I`ll keep you posted!

Quick Reply: Making Stock Exhaust louder?