Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Crankcase Pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 12:48 AM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Crankcase Pressure?

OK Guys,

As you can see from my Signature, thats's the parts I have except I forgot to add "Doherty Myst Free Breathers & Barnett Scorpion & Jagg Oil Cooler Setup"...not sure if these will make a difference in trying to figure out my problem.

When I twist on the throttle, really hard and really fast...in other words, when I light it up...my oildipstick plug blows out and soaks the bike. I assume this is crankcase pressure. If I reduce my oil level by 1/2 quart, it won't do it. Considering the Jagg oil cooler, I'd say the bike still has pretty close to the required 4 qt. oil level. I'd like to get the oil up on the dipstick as this helps cool the oil better.

I've considered removing my oil filler neck and having it threaded for a screwin oildipstick but I keep telling myself "that pressure has to go somewhere" and it makes me think of blowing a gasket, so I don't thread it. However, I have noticed on the '07 models that the oil filler neck is threaded with a screw in dipstick.

If anyone knows of a fix to the blown oildipstick problem, let me know, PLEASE! I already left one chrome dipstick on the interstate somewhere in Fairfax, VA and ruined 2 sets of NEW rear brake pads.

HELP!

Old 07-31-2007, 04:56 PM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Crankcase Pressure?

All of the parts you have installed makes the engine rev quicker, excessive presure in the crank case causes oil to stay perched in the heads (oil can't fully gravity return from the heads under throttle while case is pressurized). This oil gets excessively hot and when the bike is dethrottled this excessively hot oil when returning to the cam chest is easily aireated due to its low viscosity (thickness). Your oil bag level will grow from 1/2 to 5/8 inch from cold to hot laden with this aireated oil. This is just one of the reasons we use the R&R cam plate/ cam covers. They have a oil/air scrapper labyrinth which allows the case to breath (vent) to atmosphere. This reduces the pressure in the case while under throttle. Hope this helps.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:38 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Randy,
Where can I get this R&R cam plate? Is there a website that has more info?
Thanks

Old 08-01-2007, 07:33 AM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have them here and you can see them at www.rrcycles.biz

Old 06-13-2012, 08:56 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

The Hayden link didn't work for me but I did find this: