Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

New stage 1 Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 05:26 PM
Behnam22
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New stage 1 Air Filter

Just replaced stock air filter on my 07 Delux with a Stage 1 SE. Now, do I need to take it in for it's computer to be adjusted or what it's called? (still running with stock pipes)

Thanks, Ben

Old 08-13-2007, 08:24 PM
willett58
Cruiser
Default RE: New stage 1 Air Filter

I would like to know the answer to this as well.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:13 PM
marcss
Road Captain

I think most people wait until changing the pipes too to get the most benefit.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:18 PM
rockerhead
Road Captain

An engine is just a pump. Let more air in (low restriction air filter) without letting more air out (stock exhaust) equals no change in pump capacity. Get it?

Old 08-14-2007, 03:45 PM
Behnam22
1st Gear

So, if I change the pipes let say to a V&H Big Raduis, andNOT do the dyno for now, what is going to happen? (dealer wants about $600 just for dyno & brain!)

Ben

Old 08-14-2007, 04:24 PM
pauletich
Road Master

Once you get the pipes get the dyno, you will see a huge benefit.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:28 PM
Behnam22
1st Gear

My question is, is there anything going to get damaged if I don't do Dyno for a while?

Ben

Old 08-15-2007, 07:35 AM
LTK
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Behnam22

My question is, is there anything going to get damaged if I don't do Dyno for a while?

Ben
Good luck getting an answer around here[:@]I have the same issue as you. I just put some Big Radius on my bike and it seems to run fine for right now. I can't get a definate answer around here but the dealer says I need a sert, stage 1 and dyno time, which all = big bucks!!

They say it will run way too lean and melt my valves. I thought that the O2 sensors would automatically adjust the fuel mixture to where it wouldnt do that...but then again I'm not a mechanic, that's just what common sense tells me. Sometimes I feel the Harley dealerships can tell you some bs just to sell their product. Mine doesnt reccommend the PCIII or the V&H Fuel pak...they say they wont even sell them because too many problems in the past.

I'm biting the bullet and letting them do what they suggest (sert, stage 1, dyno)

After all...I did just spend $15,000 on the bike and I just dont want to risk it.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:31 AM
gunner065
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys. I'm having my 08 FB deliverd in a week and a half. Didn't want the stock exhaust, so I ordered up the Vance and Hynes Big Shot Staggards. With a set of pipes that flow free, to get the benefit from them, you need to go with a free flowing AC. A lot of people here go with the SE AC and switch out the filter to a K&N (part no. HD 0800) This will increase your HP and torgue a bit. With these two changes, you need to get your bike re-mappedat the dealership or it will do damage. This will allow the bike to run cooler. The 07 and 08 are lean to start with, so they run hot and these little mods help. Now, if you plan on doing future engine changes (ie cams) to save money you can go with a SERT, V&H Fuel Pack or PC III. Of course there are other ones available. The PC III seems popular. Fo me, I'm not planning on doing any engine mods for a while at least, so I'm just going with the re-map. I hope this helps a bit. There is a kinds of great info on this forum. You can just surf HDForums to find your answers or use the search function at the top of the page.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:25 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: rockerhead

An engine is just a pump. Let more air in (low restriction air filter) without letting more air out (stock exhaust) equals no change in pump capacity. Get it?
^ what he said, put on one or the other no need for the ecm change. put on both you do. if youa re worried about it then check your plugs to see if they are rich or lean. do i would not do the download get one of the other tuners ie.pcIII, thundermax with auto tune, or sert. one of these will allow more changes in the future to the engine.
I did all three at once and wish i would not of done the stage one download. I now just have to spend more on a race tuner.

Quick Reply: New stage 1 Air Filter