Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Starting 95" big bore and cam

Old 10-02-2007, 03:40 AM
Fearlessleader
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting 95" big bore and cam

Well here the deal. I am getting started on a big bore 95" upgrade to my 02 FLHT. So far I have the 95"jugs and a Andrews TW55 cam set. I will be useing KB 10.5to 1 Pistons as it looks right now and stock heads with the matching andrews valve springs. Is it a must with this cam to do port work and larger valves? I am always on the lookout for a good set of heads so I may just do that too, even I know good heads are the best way to make power. I would just like to know if it's need or a want with this cam. I am working on a budget and have to cut a corners a bit but don't want to wast my time and money. I will be doing the work myself but would like to do this once and have it right.
My next question is how hard is the cam install. I have been reading shop manual and it would seem you need a bunch of special tools. The top end seems easy enough but the cam seems crazy with install tools. If so should I take the bottom end to a shop and have them install the cam or does the book just make it sound harder then it really is.
Also the adjustable push rods make sence. I figured out that you need to make up for cam grind, head gasket and allthat. I have used the clay before in car motor builds. I know I need to check valve to piston clearence and head to piston for proper sqeeze, so that seems all good and I have a grip on that whole deal I think but I thought I better ask. I have been building car engines for many years but this will be my first HD. I rebuilt this bike from the ground up as it was a crash victim and just have to finish myself its a pride thing you know.

Any Help with this would be great but go easy on this newbie well at least to HD motors

Old 10-02-2007, 08:30 AM
mentor70
Road Warrior
Default RE: Starting 95" big bore and cam

I am like you, auto teck for 18 yrs, and just started doing HD stuff.

The Jims tools are manditory for a quick painless job. On my Dyna I had to grind the case on my bike to get the lobes on my Hi lift cams, I think most FL cases have the notches already cast into the cases.

to replace the inner bearings you MUST have the Jims puller or you will be screwed.
The pressing tools are a great thing to have too.

for torque I would choose another cam over the Andrews 55, I would get the HQ TC 500 cam.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:31 AM
mentor70
Road Warrior

The tools.........

[IMG]local://upfiles/22371/20840C1B48EF4B3B8BA2C960294D4561.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/22371/EFA93E7717324C18BD7C2017D808D811.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-02-2007, 09:55 AM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had to grind the cases alittle on my 04 FLHR for the Cam lobes to have clearence, No big deal. The cams are very easy to do. It sounds like you are more then qualifed to do the job your self. Good luck and enjoy......

Old 10-02-2007, 10:23 AM
kruzin
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I myself will be doing some engine work this winter too. Is there someone on this forum that has the tools and be willing to rent and send around to the needed users?

Old 10-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Fearlessleader
Cruiser

mentor70
Nice pic of the tools, now I just wish I had them *LOL* So now I need to find this stuff. I was looking on ebay and found a cam bearing puller, but some how it looks like it will cost a arm and a leg just for the tools. Anybody got a place to get these tool at a fair price?

Old 10-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Fearlessleader
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: mentor70

I am like you, auto teck for 18 yrs, and just started doing HD stuff.

The Jims tools are manditory for a quick painless job. On my Dyna I had to grind the case on my bike to get the lobes on my Hi lift cams, I think most FL cases have the notches already cast into the cases.

to replace the inner bearings you MUST have the Jims puller or you will be screwed.
The pressing tools are a great thing to have too.

for torque I would choose another cam over the Andrews 55, I would get the HQ TC 500 cam.
Griding the case sounds scary, but I would think a dremel tool would work for this? I have one of those. Now a pic of how someone did that would be great! The shop manual does not tell you anything about that *LOL* Thanks for the tip.

Tools I am a bit short on now my trailer was stolen right out of my front yard last fall with all my shop tools and many I have not replaced yet

The cam kit, I bought I happen to run into on ebay for 100.00 new so I thought I would grab it. I could just resell it I guess. I did think I woulduse easy install push rods when I put the cam in just in case I wanted to make a change later. Would head work with these cam be better then if I was to stay with them. I am not familiar with the model # or brand of cam you suggested.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Fearlessleader
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: 04RoadKing

I had to grind the cases alittle on my 04 FLHR for the Cam lobes to have clearence, No big deal. The cams are very easy to do. It sounds like you are more then qualifed to do the job your self. Good luck and enjoy......
Thanks for the morale booster!! I will give it my best shot and if it get to crazy I will just carry my bottom end to a shop but I thought it sounds harder then it is after all it just nuts and bolts *LOL* what comes apart must go back together!!

Old 10-02-2007, 03:04 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[/quote]

Griding the case sounds scary, but I would think a dremel tool would work for this? I have one of those. Now a pic of how someone did that would be great! The shop manual does not tell you anything about that *LOL* Thanks for the tip.

I am not familiar with the model # or brand of cam you suggested.
[/quote]

Yes a dremel tool will work that's what I used, it worked great.
I have pictures of my HQ-0039G Cam swap at home. I will post some pictures for you toninght.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Fearlessleader
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: 04RoadKing

I am not familiar with the model # or brand of cam you suggested.
[/quote]

Yes the pic's would be great! TIA

Yes a dremel tool will work that's what I used, it worked great.
I have pictures of my HQ-0039G Cam swap at home. I will post some pictures for you toninght.
[/quote]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starting 95" big bore and cam