Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Oil coolers?

Old 10-10-2007, 12:03 AM
MercRider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil coolers?

I'm thinkin about installing an oil cooler on my bike. I just want to know if its worth it or just keep it air cooled? What's so great about having an oil cooler?
And when I install one, how do I run it? Do I install it before the oil gets in the motor or when it leaves the motor to the oil tank?

Old 10-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,682 Likes on 1,339 Posts
Default RE: Oil coolers?

When it leaves the motor to the tank. Get one with a built in thermostat.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:31 AM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The easiest ones I've installed are the H-D ones,the instructions are easy to read and understand and they have the cleaniest ones once installed(no ugly hoses running everywhere). Also keep in mind,oil coolers only cool the oil while you are moving,they work like a radiator.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:33 AM
MiniMe
Road Master

I see your new, do a search on oil coolers. This topic has been covered many, many, many many times.Good luck.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Merlin
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I can tell you that my scoot ran hot. I put in a HD oil cooler w/thermostat. The same places that I would be stuck in traffic and it would overheat (alternate cylinder firing etc.) This does not happen any longer. The engine runs much cooler. I have heard that it does NOT work when you are stopped. (air flow over the fins only when moving etc.) Maybe it's the fact that you add almost another quart of oil when you have a oil cooler. This device has made a world of difference. I have needed to pull over and let the bike sit 15 minutes or longer before I could ride it again. I have not had an incident when the bike has overheated since I added the oil coller.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:40 AM
cwilks
Banned

ORIGINAL: Merlinii

Maybe it's the fact that you add almost another quart of oil when you have a oil cooler.
I put one on my "06 SG...........still holds 4 quarts..........where you putting that other quart...in your saddlebag????

Old 10-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Merlin
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, I get approx. 1/2 quart additional in the lines and cooler.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:03 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: cwilks

Maybe it's the fact that you add almost another quart of oil when you have a oil cooler.
I put one on my "06 SG...........still holds 4 quarts..........where you putting that other quart...in your saddlebag????
In fact, if you put 4qts in every change.... you are gonna be overfilling it. There is some oil in the camchest and a little in the bottom of the crankcase that does not drain out - plus whats in the cooler & lines.

I have used a Jagg Deluxe cooler for 6 or 7 years and love it... but I still only add about 3.5~3.7 qts of oilper oil change.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:38 PM
cwilks
Banned

ORIGINAL: PhilM

In fact, if you put 4qts in every change.... you are gonna be overfilling it. There is some oil in the camchest and a little in the bottom of the crankcase that does not drain out - plus whats in the cooler & lines.

I have used a Jagg Deluxe cooler for 6 or 7 years and love it... but I still only add about 3.5~3.7 qts of oilper oil change.

Yeah Phil......I'm the same...I was just rounding up

Old 10-10-2007, 03:32 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah Phil......I'm the same...I was just rounding up
That's what I figured you meant!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil coolers?