Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Help with AC I.D.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 08:14 PM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with AC I.D.

I wanted a K&N air filter for my '05 Deuce. The bike has the stage 1 completed on it. I checked the filter after reading some posts here regarding identification. Seems that filters installed with the stage 1 in recent years was a brand other than K&N. The new filter included a blue plastic border whereas the K&N had a black border.

Although the filter on my bike had the black border, no other identification was present to indicate it was manufactured by K&N, so I ordered a K&N replacement filter, (HD-0800).

The K&N filter arrived today. Even though there exist some slight cosmetic differences, the serial number is the same as the one on the current, dealer installed filter, A063A4. I guess I had a K&N all along, and right now I feel sort'a stupid! I would like confirmation from one of you that know more about this subject than I do.

So, should I just send the newly received filter back?

Old 12-19-2005, 08:24 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 147 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: Help with AC I.D.

Either send it back or keep it as a spare. This way if you service the filter in riding season, you'll have the second one to install so you have no down time while waiting for the other to dry. Usually the black banded ones are K&N and have a red tint to the filter area when fairly clean. After it gets dirty , it loosed that red tint untill you service it again.

Old 12-19-2005, 08:47 PM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help with AC I.D.

Thanks, TC. I imagine I'll just keep the new one as a spare. Yes, the filter element between the two is different. The new one is more of a pink tint whereas the used one appears to be light tan.

I'll chalk this up to another learning experience!

- Les -