Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Seeking Exhaust Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 12:56 PM
arachman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking Exhaust Opinions

So, it is winter here and damn cold.....minus 26 Celsius or 14 below Farenheit. I am not sure how much snow is on the ground but it had to be approx 7 inches. In other words it is gonna be far too long before i can ride!!!

The thing is, now i have time to figure out what exhaust system to put on my bike. I took the plugs out of the factory exhaust and it made the sound a little louder but that is all. I have an 05 Softail deluxe with EFI. I have done some reading and some research but nothing is as good as practical experience. I have looked at Supertrapp "Mean Mothers", Vance and Hines "Longshots Big" and Hard Krome "3" Big Straights".

I am after good sound. good looks and performance!!!! Thats right....i want it all!!!

So i am hoping you folks could give me your opinions on what a great exhasut would be for this bike?

[IMG]local://upfiles/5735/EAC54F24AA4944D1BA9E9D048D5C7F0F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-16-2005, 02:39 PM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Seeking Exhaust Opinions

OK You have tounderstand that I am a straight forward type of guy, all the pipes you are looking at are poor choices for gains for street use. The lack of baffles are going to cause tunablities issues, lack and loss of bottom end tq. they are more a drag pipe

Try stock head pipe and a set of SE slip ons they are hard to beat for performance and cost. If you must buy a new pipe there are others that will work better than your first choices, for a 2-1 pipe a pro pipe a or a thunder header. I am about performance I see no reason to spend money on pipes that are going to take you the other direction, alos peak numbers are worthless, that is if you beleive there own dyno sheets that they are showing you to buy there product.

To keep the bottom end shy away from pipes that are true dual set ups they are not going to help you in the bottom rpm range.

Old 11-16-2005, 08:29 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

I agree with arachman. The SE or SE II slip-ons look nice, sound nice, and will give you the most bang for the buck. I debated purchasing a two into one, but prefer the look of the staggered pipes. With the stock Harley header, you get the crossover pipe that equalizes pressure on both pipes improving low end torque, much like a two into one will accomplish. The ECM remap or race tuner maps are readily available for these configurations which will save you time and money trying to get the bike tuned to run with an aftermarket product. The EFI is very sensitive to changes in air flow. The ECM remap will correct the air/fuel mixture and provide you with good idle speed and performance without having to dyno tune the bike.

Old 12-23-2005, 11:33 AM
hungrycat
Advanced

why dont you find a good dyno man and he can tell you what to do and what works best.

Old 12-24-2005, 02:44 PM
frydaddy96
Cruiser

I just put a set of V&H 2-1 Pro-Pipe HS on my 96 Heritage Classic. WOW Nice throaty sound, didn't dyno before or after but can tell some difference in the throttle response. They sound pretty close to the file on the V&H web site. Before it had stock headers with some slip-on's(no name). If you want performance 2-1 is the way to go.

Old 12-24-2005, 03:02 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never make an exhaust recommendation based on performance until your engine combination is set in stone. Normally when doing engine modifications you choose exhaust pipes after doing all the other mods. Unless of course you just want a good looking pipe.