Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

88 Cubic Inch to 95

Old 12-13-2007, 08:25 AM
sunbill1974
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 Cubic Inch to 95

Hello fellow HD riders. I don't post often on this forum, but you've always helped me with answers and questions about my bike. Anyhow, I'm thinking about going the whole nine yards to convert my 06 NTrain from a 88 cubin inch (1450 cc) to a 95 (1550 cc). The dealer expalined there's two types of conversion, one will cost $950 and another will cost $2700. I'll probably go the whole nine yards for the one that cost $2700. My question is has anyone had this done, and do you feel that much of a difference in power. Also, the dealer also mentioned about while I'm at it, have thecylinders sent out to be diamond cut. I'm not sure what this means though, but he insisted it looks better, and cools better for the engine. Can anyone shed some light for me?
Thanks in advance.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7996/80A20E9240AE45E8A7078EDD2E42035E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-13-2007, 08:45 AM
mentor70
Road Warrior
Default RE: 88 Cubic Inch to 95

if the right parts are choosen, you will have a HUGE difference in power.

the SE parts wont nessearly give you that return on power.

most of us would recomend contacting a aftermarket parts distrubutor/manufacture such as Zippers, head-quarters,GMR, or R&R to get a kit ususaly containing OE barrels and ported OE heads.

these kits are blueprinted to correct many production flaws and correct the compression.
you should call a couple of places and tell them what your ridding style and bike you have and they will recomend a cam/compression and heads and ingition package that matches.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:50 AM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

yes go aftermarket...and, get the bike off that trailer!!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:52 AM
drdave
Cruiser

i've been down the dealership route and i was not impressed at all, unless you are trying to keep a warranty.
i upgraded my wifes 88" by -
buying a set of wiseco flat top pistons for a 3.875" bore (i did not want a high compression build)
had a local shop bore my 88" cylinders out to match the pistons - a much better match for the pistons than just buying cylinders from the factory which are not always true.
added a programmable ignition
changed out the cams - went with bolt in head-quarters 0034 and added the gear drive (they also have chain drive versions).
i had the heads mildly ported by a reputable shop since i had the motor apart - but this is not necessary.

cost: 150 for boring cylinders, 400+ for the pistons and complete gasket kit (every gasket and seal necessary) - don't remember if that included adjustable pushrods or not, cams were 289 and gear drive around 325, programmable ignition under 300 and labor for top end was around 500 at my local independent shop.

i have not dyno'd it yet, but it is much stronger than any 95" from the factory i have ever had the chance to ride.
the only advantage to my dealership is that it is very large with many mechanics on staff and they can usually start work on any bike in about 2-3 days and be done very quickly. independent shops take a little longer, especially if you send the cylinders &/or heads out for work.

you will also hear of simple upgrades like increasing the displacement, using a .030" cometic gasket to improve squish, andrews 37 cams and a programmable ignition. another simple option if you have a local shop.
doug at head-quarters.com would have a complete package available at very competitive pricing also.
there are a lot of other combinations mentioned on this forum that work well if put together properly. i am just very un-impressed with harley packages. the results are certainly not very cost effective.

all of the companies mentioned by mentor70 are very reputable and have quality products. axtell would be another source.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,749 Likes on 765 Posts

Check out Head Quarters. They have complete matched kits. Going from a stock 88" to an HQ 95" build (with cams and head work) will give you a MAJOR increase in torque and horsepower... with a good tune, the increases will be even higher.

As an example, with just getting my heads done by HQ and installing a set of HQ-0039G cams and an HQ-6104 igntion in my stock 88"/stock compression engine, I gained over 30% more horsepower and over 27% more torque, and that was with a very so-so tune (went from 62hp/70ft-lbs to 82hp/89 ft-lbs). I am now completing the upgrade to 95" @ 10:1 compression, and after tuning, I expect to be in the 100hp/100ft-lbs ballpark.

There are other great companies out there too (mentioned above), but I only have personal experience with Head Quarters.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 12-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 815 Likes on 580 Posts

Many shops that have been in the trenches of theperformance business have absolutely fantastic kits that deliver the power, fuel enonomy(because the VE is waaaaay up), all while cooling the thing down, once tuned correctly.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: sunbill1974

Hello fellow HD riders. I don't post often on this forum, but you've always helped me with answers and questions about my bike. Anyhow, I'm thinking about going the whole nine yards to convert my 06 NTrain from a 88 cubin inch (1450 cc) to a 95 (1550 cc). The dealer expalined there's two types of conversion, one will cost $950 and another will cost $2700. I'll probably go the whole nine yards for the one that cost $2700. My question is has anyone had this done, and do you feel that much of a difference in power. Also, the dealer also mentioned about while I'm at it, have thecylinders sent out to be diamond cut. I'm not sure what this means though, but he insisted it looks better, and cools better for the engine. Can anyone shed some light for me?
Thanks in advance.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7996/80A20E9240AE45E8A7078EDD2E42035E.jpg[/IMG]
For $2,700.00 you can get a complete stage 2-1/2 R&R package (with gear drive cams), all machine work to the cylinders and cnc ported heads. 105- 108 torque and hp, 30-50 degrees cooler running, great low end torque, great linear power, and nothing obnoxious.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 309 Likes on 181 Posts

My RG is being torn down as I type this msg. I bought an HQ 95" kit with their cam etc along with a new set of pipes - D&D Fatcats and can't wait to pick it up. I am hoping for around 100/100 when I am done. Best part is the dependability of their kits.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:33 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I did a dealer install 95" kit before I took delivery when it was new.
I did the 95" flat tops, 204 SE cam and the dealer took care of the head work.
I sent everything out for diamond cutting while it was apart.
My kit cost was around $1,700.00 installed, and there was "Elbow Grease" money from Harley to offset the cost.
I also installeda SERT and the bike runs absolutely great.

I think it's a pretty good bang for the buck to stay with HD parts, and get a full 48 State warranty, not to mention the dealer is the easy way as long as they are reputable. My dealer was very reputable.
If I were to do a more radical build, then I would go aftermarket, but I am very happy with the performance I have right now..

Old 12-14-2007, 08:52 AM
TXCHOP
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

From my experiance. Dealer builds are only warrantied by the dealer that did the build. With a good package like any of the great aftermarket shops offer, there is no need for warranty. You wont have to use it. I know i bought a set of lifters with a lifetime warranty once. Well they exploded and yes i get a free set of lifters but i also had to buy a cam plate, oil pump, and new cams...So you decide.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 88 Cubic Inch to 95