Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

SE 103 PRO Stage II Kit Question

Old 12-16-2007, 07:00 AM
s8norr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SE 103 PRO Stage II Kit Question

I'm trying to figure out where to go with my engine to get a little more performance and came across a SE 103 PRO Stage II kit at a really good price. I was planning on sticking with 103 for displacement because apparently it requires less engine work to have installed (no case boring). If anyone has input on the difference between the PRO kit and the standard SE 103 kit (appart from it's being for "race use only"), I would be obliged. "Race use only" usually means more fun on the street, that's why I got the old SE II mufflers.

Also, when I spoke with one of the guys at the HD shop about doing the stage II kit, he said that they weren't "all that crazy" about the SE 255 cam. Not really sure what he meant by that but if so, where can I get info to figure out what cam to use.My other thought was just getting the basicSE 103stage I kit and adding a better cam. Thanks.

-Nick

Old 12-16-2007, 07:40 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: SE 103 PRO Stage II Kit Question

I'm not sure if the Stage II PRO is with Heads vs. the Stage II with just cams, but I got the Stage II w/o SE Heads on my new 08 and I won't be bothering with any headwork for a while. When and if I do it won't be SE Heads, (learned my lesson after my last two SE Head Harleys), rather one of the aftermarket builders. In any event, it's early in the game for my and my 08 103" SG, but I'm back where I have been on the last two HD's. They run great with the factory upgrades 99% of the time for me. It's just when I get that "can't keep my hands off the motor" itch that things start to get iffy. Right now, my Stage II 103 w/ 255 Cams is the best running, smoothest and fastest Harley I've ever owned. It's all about rideability and torque. The SE 255 will get the same treatment from a lot of people the SE 203's get cause it's the cam that comes in the HD "kit", so there must be a "better" cam out there. There very well might be, but I would debate whether there is one that has been researched and fitted to the exact specs of what the 103" Stage II is supposed to offer. I can tell you this...when you get over 105 ft/lb torque around 2500 rpm on a 103" with stock heads and it holds it head up across the meat of the power band, I have a hard time anyone dissing those cams. It's like all those guys telling folks to go with SE 211's vs SE 203's or 204's. They simply aren't the best cams for heavier bikes or lower compression. Anyway...Stage II...it's the new Stage II

Old 12-16-2007, 08:27 AM
TNBagger
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you google on Latus Harley Davidson and look at the many dyno charts under the service icon, you will find a few 103" kit dyno charts ( 1st url below). The SE 255 cams provide good low and middle RPM range performance. I have a Stage II 103" setup on my '08 Ultra with rebored vs. new cylinders and the 255 cams. It is still in break-in mode so I don't have a dyno run yet but the throttle response is much better and the bike pulls much less effortlessly that just a Stage I upgrade. Some other cams give you better mid and higher RPM performance but I want low end response in a bagger. Think over what type of riding you do and where you want the maximum torque and that will help you and a knowledgeable builder decide on which cams to go with. If you stick with the stock cams, you won't realize the performance that comes with the 255 cams. There was a thread in the touring bike section(url below also) that dealt with a fellow that did a 103" kit with 204 stock cams vs. 255's. He was downsome in bothHP and #'s of TQ with 204's.

http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com...13&start=1

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2519489/tm.htm

Old 12-16-2007, 08:36 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Looking at the '08 SE parts catalog, the Pro Stage II kit appears to be the same as the Stage II kit except that is has a lower list price and does not incude the Stage I a/c and backing plate. With the SE kits, it's useful to include PN's if you have them to assure accurate comparisons.

The Pro Stage II kit at page 26 of the catalog is PN 29893-07A/ the Stage II is at page 15 and is PN 27535-08 (but thereare numerous PN's for this kit, including49 state legal, Cali legal, etc.)

Old 12-16-2007, 11:19 AM
DRAGO1
Tourer

For the same amount of money I would put a super charger on it. either pro charger or magna charger. see 40% // 75% depending on how much boost you order with the kits. Plus the motor will last longer. and look cooler and sound great.

You can get a super charger for 2500 / 4500 dollars depending on how crazy you want to get with the kits...

Old 12-16-2007, 05:41 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

ORIGINAL: DRAGOSBIKEWORKS

For the same amount of money I would put a super charger on it. either pro charger or magna charger. see 40% // 75% depending on how much boost you order with the kits. Plus the motor will last longer. and look cooler and sound great.
How can a blower make a engine last longer? Anything that increases the output of the engine in most cases will shorten the life span because folks will use that extra power often. A blow also adds heat and heat is one of the last things a air cooled engine needs.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:35 PM
DRAGO1
Tourer

I build these kits all the time. What do you think happens when you bore and stroke your engine and put bigger cams in it and raise comp 10.5.1 or higher MORE HEAT..... Blowers with oil cooler//inter coolers do not add *** much heat. 6 psi of boost does not raise engine temp any more then a big bore kit. Talk to the guys at Magna or Pro Charger. I bulid bikes that put out100 hp/ 500hp that run high 7 seconds. low 8s. Super Chargers and turbos are the way of the future. Also whats nice about a blower if you leave the bike stock you can take it off and sell it or put it on your next bike try that with old engine parts.... with doing any major work. if you would like to see my web site please e-mail I will send you web site to see my shop. I am waiting to become a sponsor on this forum. Please do not take this in a bad way. People really do not under stand blowers and turbos. I have been doing this for a long time. I can put a blower on your Harley and get you the same power then people buliding you some crazy motor that takes a sh..t on you every other month or week. On a 95 inch big bore with a pro charger you can see 145/165 hp and drive it every day. Or a stock 88 inch 107/125hp drive every day.

I hope this helps.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:58 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

ORIGINAL: DRAGOSBIKEWORKS

I build these kits all the time. What do you think happens when you bore and stroke your engine and put bigger cams in it and raise comp 10.5.1 or higher MORE HEAT..... Blowers with oil cooler//inter coolers do not add *** much heat. 6 psi of boost does not raise engine temp any more then a big bore kit.
Actually my oil temp is cooler than stock with ported heads and a 95" build with compression at 10.1. I appreciate you taking the time to explain, I've messed with blowers on cars off and on for quite a few years. My experience with gasoline engines and blowers has been you need a bigger more efficient radiator to handle the increase in heat. Now when I was tuning my brothers Top Dragster that ran a 540" BBC with a blower on methanol we didn't have the heat issues due to the fuel being methanol.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:19 PM
DRAGO1
Tourer

Come on thats a big change from 88inch motor lol... you know what I mean. Why do people increase motor size to get more air in and out faster. Low levels of boost on motors with stock comp like 8.5.1-- 8.9.1-- 9.4.1 now these are harley stock motors. from 80 tru 96 inch You will not see a problem. Now I never said it would not add heat. But it would be no more heat then some one buliding some crazy size motor that you can not drive every day. But at 11 psi of boost on a stock low comp motor thats a lot off fun. But with an oil cooler and inter cooler on a air cooled engine it will keep the heat down.With the right tunning of the motor and specs you will not have a problem. I run a 05 hayabusa with turbo system15 psi stock motor with a spacer plate between the heads. Comp is 16.1 with stock radiator stock fan. No problems 100 oct. Heat still the same as stock. 307 hp daily driver. What did I do there I sized the turbo right with head flow in out and headers. it's all about math.. I can tell you if you like to add one to your bike. People always think bigger is better. Not true. And do a head temp on your heads thats is the true temp of motor. If you have a buddy that has a stock bike get his head temp then compare itto yours you will see a change yours will be hotter be cause you changed your comp area. or thermo image. If you like you can e-mail. I am not a sponsor yet or I would post my shop web page.. or go to www.prochager.com I have a few race bikes out there that make 500 hp jap bikes with turbos with 20 psi boost 8 fuel injectors with stock radiators and stock fansand do not over heat but I spec and build these motors. If you take the time and size the turbo or super charger right itwill run great with no problems and no heating problems. A magna charger at 8 psi will coast about $2500 thou. 5/6 hour to install and get over 110/ hp. it would coast you 4000 to get the same power. It is cheaper to super charge an engine and get more power out of it then it is to build one. THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK.....

Old 12-17-2007, 10:23 PM
DRAGO1
Tourer

Also sorry to hear about your car probs I hope it works out......A fast car is no fun when you cant stop it from over heating.. Good luck.. Talk To Jeff At FAST TIMES in Downers Grove IL. He could help you guys out with that. He is in every mag and tv show great guy....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SE 103 PRO Stage II Kit Question