Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

rich plugs???

Old 01-04-2008, 06:42 PM
hogmech
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rich plugs???

[:@]Hey anybody out there have this problem before? I have a 2005 Sporty 883 with V&H slipon's and an Arlen NessBig Sucker air filter assembly. No big deal right? Wrong!!!!!!!!!The problem is this, no matter what I do I can't get the plugs to read lean. The plugsalways come out sooty black after I start the bike. I put a jet kit in, 180 main 45 pilot, same result. The jet sizes are back to stock (I took the jet kit back out but I can't change the slide hole back so that is still over sized 1/8"),witha 42 pilot and a 175 main jet. The bike should be lean as hell right??? Wrong!!!!!!The bike will not stay running if I put the enrichner in all the way. I try to start the bike (using the enrichner) and after it starts I push it in and try to keep it running with just the throttle, it spits flames out of the carb like it is too lean.I then went to checking the ignitionsystem.I checked coil primary and secondary resistance, plug wire resistance andall arewithin specs. I changed the crank sensor, same result. Removed it, and then tried the replacing the ICM with the Screamin Eagle unit, same result. My question is this W.T.F. is wrong! It is driving mecrazy. Any thoughts?????

Old 01-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: rich plugs???

Float could be hanging up, allowing too much gas into the carb. Spark ignites the gas, kaboom out the carb. It would also explain the sooty plugs.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:20 AM
hogmech
6th Gear

Dorkman ,Thanks for the lead ,I will check it today. I will post the results.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: hogmech

Dorkman ,Thanks for the lead ,I will check it today. I will post the results.
Good luck. I would re-check my work...anything that was done since the last time it was working correctly. Don't know how many times I have pounded my head against a wall when I just overlooked a small item.That "slide hole" may be the problem.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:39 PM
tootal
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I usually don't drill the slide hole but I still don't think that's your problem. That just allows the slide to jump up faster increasing your throttle response. If you didn't go over 1/8" it should be fine once your jetting is correct. I'm a little confused. Have you been able to ride the bike at all? If it doesn't run without the choke then it is lean. I would richen it up till it runs and go ride it for a half hour or so and check them again. One other thing, did you get the rubber diaphram sealed correctly? If that's leaking it will cause all kinds of problems. When putting the cap on I usually twist it around a little. You can usually feel it drop into the slot. I don't want to insult your intellegence, I'm just brain storming here. I know I've been to the point of putting TNT between those cylinders, lighting it and walking away!! Good luck.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:59 AM
hogmech
6th Gear

Thanks for the responses to the post. I tried the float and it is not hanging up. I removed the fuel valve to see if the valve could beplugged up with crap and it is clear. So I checked it for flow as per themanual and all is good.I have changed the jets up down and side ways, I can ride the bike with the choke about half way out withALL the jet combinations, it always causes the plugs to foul. Once I put the choke in and try to ride it the bike puts a puff of smoke out of the air cleaner and dies like someone shut the fuel off. I have told the owner that she will have to take it back to the stealer and see if the digital tech will come up with the lil' gremlin that has rooted itself inside this bike!!!!!Thanks for all the help and I'll let you know what they come up with!!!!P.S. She just told me that the bike has run this way since she picked it up from the dealer used.[sm=bangbang.gif]

Old 01-08-2008, 02:02 AM
PhxCliff
4th Gear

Sounds like the choke is not shutting off. I'd replace it - borrow the one off your friends carb first to test before buyinga new one.