Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Fuel gauge removal ? - '02 Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Rando
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel gauge removal ? - '02 Fatboy

OK, so the weather was decent (enough) to allow me to work in the garage & remove the fenders and gas tank from my newly acquired '02 Fatboy - gonna get some"previous owner"dings removed and the whole thing repainted.
Not sure how to remove the stock fuel gauge assembly & wiring though... I can lift the gauge about 1" from the tank till it stops, the wires come through the bottom of the tank. How can these be removed / disconnected without damaging the internal wires, bottom seal, etc? Right now I'm hoping to re-use the stock unit once the tank is painted.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Rando

Old 01-08-2008, 12:02 AM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Fuel gauge removal ? - '02 Fatboy

The wiring runs down through a small tube and has a small plug-in clipped to the frame backbone up under the tank, lift the tank in the rear a bit and unplug the harness from the tank, once the tank is removed you will then have to remove the pins from the plug so the wires will fit up through the small tube to your guage,once that is off you can remove the screws holding down the sending unit and remove it as a unit if you want, dont forget to use a new gasket when you re-assemble