Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Removing Stock Cams

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 05:34 AM
Road King Kid
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Removing Stock Cams

Ok, I have my cam plate out and am now trying to figure out how to remove the cams without a press and without damaging the plate.

I have already released the tension on the inner tensioner, removed the retaining clip from the front cam, and removedthe cam bearing plate. The rear cam is ready to slide right out of the bearing, however the front cam is snug as a bug.

I was thinking about using a socket and a rubber mallet, but just want to make sure that this is how everyone else does it.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:31 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,954 Likes on 1,711 Posts
Default RE: Removing Stock Cams

There is a plug in the top of the cam plate. It is a clean out plug and has a rubbero-ring on it. Remove this plug so theo-ring doesn't melt. Once the plug is removed, put the entire cam plate and cam assembly on a baking sheet and put in the oven on about 300 degrees for 15 minutes or so. Take the baking sheet out and the cams should fall right out. If they don't gently take a socket and a rubber mallet and tap them out. When I did a gear drive swap on my 04 I used the oven/freezer method and it worked totally fine and easy.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:52 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep, the oven method is the way to go.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:35 PM
ToBeFrank
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed. The oven method works great. Only thing I'd add is I did 300 degrees the first time I took my cams out and I still had to tap them out with a socket. The second time I used 400 degrees and they just fell right out.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Road King Kid
Tourer

Thanks for the replies. The cams did come out using the oven method. Now I am trying to get the rear roller bearing out. Should I heat the plate up again and pop it out with a socket and mallet or is there another method?

Old 01-11-2008, 03:43 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

yes a proper size socket and mallet. put the cam plate on top of 2 phone books or similar items to support the plate.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:29 AM
Road King Kid
Tourer

I am installing a gear driven cam set and therefore will not longer have any need to the cam chain tensioners. I am assuming that it is alright to leave the "posts" in the cam plate that the Cam Chain tensioners sit on. Is this a safe assumption?

Old 01-12-2008, 09:28 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes you can leave them in or press them out. If you remove them and decided to go back to chain drives for any reason they can be pressed back in. They don't hurt anything so I leave them in but know guys whopress them out.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:25 PM
darkdyna06
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your'e planning on heating the plate to 300-400 degrees, I would be sure to take the bypass spring out first. May not hurt it, but then again...

Old 01-13-2008, 01:14 PM
tootal
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: darkdyna06

If your'e planning on heating the plate to 300-400 degrees, I would be sure to take the bypass spring out first. May not hurt it, but then again...
+1
At 400 degrees you will start to change the molecular structure of steel. 350 won't hurt but don't go to 400 unless the spring is removed. I would change the spring anyway to increase oil pressure. I'm sure there is a thread on doing that and what type of spring as I have forgotten the one I used.

Quick Reply: Removing Stock Cams