Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Rocker Arm End Play

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 11:15 AM
tcfamy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker Arm End Play

I have the rocker covers off and checked the end play on the rocker arms. Forward cylinder exhaust is .013 and intake is .011. The back cylinder is .007 and .008. The service manual says up to .011 new and replace at .025.I was thinking shimming to .008 would help keepthe front cylinder quiet.

Has anyone shimmed between the arm and support to decrease clearance?SS shims are readily available and purchasing a new arm or support is kind of a hit or miss.

Thanks -- Tom

Old 01-23-2008, 06:54 PM
Sleeps In Trees
Road Master
Default RE: Rocker Arm End Play

I shimmed mine up (on the non-thrust ends) w/ss shims from McMaster Carr & it helped a LOT. I targeted .004" for final endplay on mine.

VicW.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:21 PM
tcfamy
Cruiser

Thanks for the info Vic. Do I understand right that the non thrust side would be thevalve (left) side? --- Tom

Old 01-23-2008, 11:33 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

No it would be the push rod side and even then becareful of those added shims....I have seen too many split and fall off the shafts and down push rod tubes.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:45 AM
tcfamy
Cruiser

Thanks for the warning and clarification Doc. Sometimes a good idea has it's risks.That's why I love this forum.Sharing knowledge and experience. I was thinking of using multiple .002 shims to get there. Any thoughts if multiple shims are better than a single thicker one?

Tom

Old 01-24-2008, 08:09 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Well Tom it's the thinshims that tear out of their position by the rocking motion of the rocker. What I do in this situation is buy new cast rocker plates for a tighter fit.....I know this is more spendy for you but to consider what could happen if a torn shim entered the cam compartment and possibly into the oil pump will be major spending. Another solution would be to assemble it with the larger clearances and live with it.

Go to the local dealer and see if they have some take off rocker plates from jobs where they installed the S/E forged plates, you might get just what you need for a song and a dance.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:22 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Something to think about while doing this is the rocker shaft to rocker bushing play. New bushings don't look too hard to put in and ream out.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:23 AM
tcfamy
Cruiser

Gunny, the bushing play is right on for all four rockers. It is just the front cylinder end play that's out.

Time to listen to the Doc. That is a very good point about peeling a shim into the case. Time to head down to the dealer. I was contemplating the SE supports, but wasn't sure it would help if the arms are out.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well checkthe supportsout. They are not real expensive as things go. I just put in some forged SE rocker arm supports and S&S roller tips and they fit very snug. Not too much but cannot **** them to put in. Valve train makes no noise with Woods 7H cam. As Doc said I bet the dealer has some stock ones around from takeoffs.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:10 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

I just had my dads bike apart putting a set of heads on it, checked the rocker play and tossed around the idea of shimming them. I then thought about the same thing Doc just mentioned and decided I didn't care to pull the rocker box tops each year to make sure the shims were not getting the crap worn out of them because I didn't trust them over the long haul.

Quick Reply: Rocker Arm End Play