Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

WTK: Painting Exhaust Heat Shields ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 10:58 PM
ultravista
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTK: Painting Exhaust Heat Shields ...

I just bought a set of of Vance & Hines Big Shot (staggered) pipes off ebay. The previous owner bead blasted the heat shields and painted them with HD high temperature paint 98665-78 (flat black).

He didn't package the pipes very well and a lot of the paint rubbed off in the package on the way from him to me. Not too bad but it does need to be touched up.

What is the best way to prep the surfaces to be re-shot? There's no clear coat, just the original paint itself. Should I wash it with anything, scuff with anything or ...? Just want to make sure it sticks well and lasts long.

Old 02-09-2006, 01:56 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: WTK: Painting Exhaust Heat Shields ...

Even after bead blasting, the paint doesn't stick all that well to chrome. Powdercoat sticks a lot better.

What I've done with PC that works really well is acid etch. There's an etching solution available at most craft stores used for etching glass. My wife gets it at Michaels. Spread a little on in a nice smooth coat, let it sit for about 20 minutes, and then wash off. That dulls the surface enough to get good adhesion. Then just do your standard paint prep.

You have to be carefull and get the etching solution in a nice even coat. Otherwise the surface will be uneven, and it will show through.

I tried wet sanding with 1,000 grit paper; but the streaks show through. On translucent colors that's kind of a neat effect. Looks like anodized brushed alum. But on solid colors it just looks like sloppy surface prep.

Old 02-11-2006, 12:47 AM
ultravista
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What can I expect to pay for powder coating a pair of heat shields? Expensive or not?

The true test comes tomorrow when I mount the pipes to the bike and let them get hot. The paint is supposed to be heat resistant but pipes can be mean.

I need to update my photo with the new pipes and everything else.

Old 02-11-2006, 12:58 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ultravista

What can I expect to pay for powder coating a pair of heat shields? Expensive or not?

Around here probably about $50 or so.