Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Woody's Superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 08:33 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Woody's Superchargers

Hi,

I see Woody is advertising his little centrifugal superchargers on here! Always glad to see another forum sponsor!

Thinkin' about eventually going with a blower......I have one on my Mustang, and nothing builds power like "forced Induction"~!

Does anybody have any experience with the Woody's setup? I prefer the Magnacharger "Roots" setup, but in talking to the guy on the phone, he told me that it only workds on Carbureted motors (If I would have know that FIRST, I would have gotten a carbureted FXD..... )

5K is ALOT of bones, but I would go from 78/78 on power to roughly 120/120 !!!!!

Of course you would need an upgraded clutch!

I'm not convinced that their air cleaner design is sealed adequately for this either.

Any experience, please chime in!

joe

Old 02-13-2006, 11:19 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Woody's Superchargers

For $5000 can't ya do that kind of power with straight motor?? I personally would save the money or dip into the engine for the power.

Old 02-14-2006, 01:10 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks interesting. I talked with the guy at a bike show a couple of months ago. Very neat installation, looks good. Seemed pretty simple for the average guy to install. Here are some things I didn't like:

1. $5K. That's a lot of bux, but it is a quality piece. I paid less than that for my Aerocharger, and that included installation and tuning.

2. In order to get the kind of numbers he advertises, you must use short open pipes. OK for most racetracks, but not for the street. And some racetracks are instituting max noise standards.

3. Take a close look at the power curve. It makes all that power at the top end of the rpm range. Not much more than stock where you ride the most. a 95" motor with 203 cams (a very common build) makes less than 100 ft/lbs below 3,500 rpm's. Max torque is 118. Add up all the costs and you're talking about $6,000 for 118 ft/lbs.

I'm not impressed. The last bike I had was a stock Evo, with stock carb and Crane single fire ignition system. Added a $3500 Aerocharger system, including installation and tuning. That bike made 110 ft/lbs at 3,000 rpm at 6,500' ASL. Peak torque was 124 @ 5,000.

If I spent $6K, I could get more power than the blower provides. But the blower really does look and sound nice. Blowers are rpm dependant. They make X amount of boost for Y rpm. Period. I'll wait for a good turbo system to come out. Or I'll make my own (yea, right).

Old 02-14-2006, 06:26 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,816 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Adding a blower you may also want to consider if the rear belt drive can handle the stress? It opens up a whole can of worms. If you do it you must upgrade all related parts or it will be broke more than it is running. My old days of drag racing tought me it costs money to go fast and every time you cut a corner to save a buck, you ending buying parts twice. I would go with nitrous before going to blower simply for the fact it then is when you want the power and not ON ALL THE TIME. Either upgrade requires pistons, rods and drivetrain that will handle the shock. Which spells big money to do it right.

Old 02-15-2006, 12:56 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thought, but not necessarily true. My old Evo mad a lot of power. Whenever I whacked the throttle, it was there. I replaced the belt once, because I picked up a rock on a dirt road and punched a big hole on it. I wore out the rings at about 42K and started burning oil; that was because of the boost. I replaced the clutch just becaue I thought 40K was along time on a stock clutch - considering the way I ride. It probably had another 3-5K miles on it. I did all the routine maint according to the owners manual, but nothing drastic. I rode a lot of miles heavily loaded through the rocky mountains. In 45K miles nothing ever broke and left me immobile.

What really kills engine parts is rpm's. What kills driveline parts is shock loading.

The advantage to a blower in racing is that it builds power slowly with rpm's. Eliminates the shock loading. Also makes it easier for the amature drag racers to get traction. But road racers always use turbos, because the boost is there when you need it, almost regardless of rpm's. In simplistic terms, drag racing needs a blower. Street vehicles need a turbo.