Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

05 Roadking upgrade, now engine noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:23 PM
05flhpi
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Roadking upgrade, now engine noise?

Evening everyone: I'll try to make this short and simple.

I have an 05 Roadking police which I purchased new in Feb 05. I put 2400 miles on it in the05 season, then in summer 06 wanted an upgrade. Heres what I did...

Samson Rolled thunder slip-ons
Vance and Hines Tru-dual headers
HD 95" Big Bore cylinders
JE 10.25:1 Pistons
.022 inch steel head gaskets
Headquarters HQ-0034 cams
Power Commander III usb

thats it...everything else stock. I am an auto mechanic by trade so I tackled the job myself (had to buy all the neat cam tools and such) After I got done, I changed the oil to 20W50 NON synthetic (to help seat the rings) and fired it up. All was well except some not loud, but now noticible (sounds like) valve tick. I decided to see if it would quiet itself with a little mileage. That brings us to now. I have put 650 miles on the upgrade...great power...but still noticeable valve noise or ticking. Last week I installed a set of HQ adjustable push rods AND 4 new stock HD lifters (just incase) to see if I could "adjust" out the noise. No luck.. I am starting to think its not lifter noise... I tried a little over adjusting and a little under with the push rods, no change in sound. Again, not TICK TICK loud, but enough to make me concered. I know Harleys sound like a sewing machine and stuff, I rode mine stock and know that sound. But the best example is, its like 3 times tick-y-er than stock. Oh, I even switched to mobile 1 20W50 to see if the synthetic would help, no change. One more thing, it seems to be loudest at 2500 rpm or so...If i back rpms down a little, it gets quieter, if I go to about 3000, it gets quieter. Everything went together WONDERFULY. When I put the lifters in, I had to take most of theupper end apart again. So I decided to take the cam plate out and reset/center the oil pump, again JUST IN CASE.??? any sugestions?

Thanks

Old 04-23-2008, 01:38 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,672 Likes on 1,091 Posts
Default RE: 05 Roadking upgrade, now engine noise?

You're getting harmonics at the mentioned RPM's which amplifies all the mechanical noises that are present. My suggestion - get over it. Really, I've rebuilt mine twice and changed every moving part numerous times - changes, but never goes away.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:23 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

05FLHPI, a buddy had the same issue and it was solved by usingthe oil pump alignment screws in the crank breather holes to center the rocker base.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:27 AM
mentor70
Road Warrior

Did you buy barrels off the shelf and just drop the pistons in, or have the barrel "fit" to the pistons?

JEs are know for being noisey, thats why I went went with CPs.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:55 AM
Ultra Rider 03
Intermediate

Not sure of the lift and timing of your cams, but did you check valve to piston clearance, rocker box to valve retainer, and cam lobes to iner case, though this one is more on EVO's but still is close on some twin cams,all these can and dohappenwith the changes you made. Good luck in your hunt. Manuel

Old 04-23-2008, 12:43 PM
05flhpi
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

05FLHPI, a buddy had the same issue and it was solved by usingthe oil pump alignment screws in the crank breather holes to center the rocker base.
hmmm...now that might be worth a try... thanks Hpman

ORIGINAL: mentor70

Did you buy barrels off the shelf and just drop the pistons in, or have the barrel "fit" to the pistons?

JEs are know for being noisey, thats why I went went with CPs.
mentor, no I just dropped the JE's in. If thats whats wrong, and I'm hearing piston slap, could I just leave it alone or take it apart and have the jugs fitted?

Thanks guys

Old 04-24-2008, 11:50 PM
mentor70
Road Warrior

You could find some OE barrel for 20-30 dollars and remove your pistons and take everything to a machine shop and have the barrels bored and fitted to the pistons, thats the only way to deal with that. (sell the ones on it now on Ebay)

as for the pushrods, mine were alittle noisey. I ran them down 3 full turns, and thats where they run the quietest. the 34 cam should not be noisey.