Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Wrist pin Bushing Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 07:41 AM
schmeg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrist pin Bushing Install

I am going to install a new wrist pin bushing on my aft rod because I fouled the bushing badly while installing a pin (inexperience). I have all the applicable tools coming from Jims. Is there anything I need to be aware of when I getting down to rolling up my shirt sleeves and doing this? Any special techniques? Keeping reamer straight? If screwed this build up anough and am getting discouraged, I don't want to dig my hole any bigger. I would have brought it to the dealer for the bushing, but that would have been giving up, and he's booking a month out. I fould the bushing originally by not having the proper ring compressor and pre-installing the pistons in the jug and dropping the assy. over the studs, then using a pin installer. Got everything cocked off and really fouled the brass in the bushing to the extent it started to press the bushing out of the rod bore. Nicked the outer radious of the bore, but it looks OK to clean up with a zip tool.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:43 PM
wfolarry
Tourer
Received 158 Likes on 86 Posts
Default RE: Wrist pin Bushing Install

There's not much to it just follow the instructions. Depending on the bushing you're using if you need to drill the hole in it do this before you ream it. Lube that reamer good so it cuts nice & once you start keep going all the way through. Don't stop & back it out.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:21 PM
schmeg
Cruiser

OK thanks. Funny thing though, the Harley shop manual calls to ream dry, and hone wet with lube. If you do lube, what are you using for lube? I'm using a Jims bushing that has the oiling hole in it already. For that matter, I'm using all Jims stuff once it gets here except for the hone which is Harley. Very expensive proposition for all the tools, and they aren't that easy to find. I guess its because the small end rarely gives a problem. I call Bean this morning (he did my heads) and indicated also it isn't too big a deal. I'm just concerned about keeping the reamer concentric to the cases for proper alignment.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:00 PM
factoryhdtech
Intermediate

Sounds like the right ring compressor would have been a good investment....sorry just couldn't help myself.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:35 PM
schmeg
Cruiser

It absolutley would have been. I have learned its hard to take shortcuts with these motors. I am paying the price dearly, as long as the build gets done correctly at this point, I'm fine with everything. Too late to whine about my mistakes.