Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Best 95" kit? cams?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 07:07 AM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Best 95" kit? cams?

Favorite? well, I base this on a few things such as reliability(first off) street manners and mostly for performance per dollar spent, Here goes,
Andrews TW 37 cams (Chain or geardrive)
stock cylinders bored to 95
SE Flat top pistons
stock heads, ported by BigBoyz and setup for 9.6 compression(here at 700 ft above sea level)
SE perfect fit pushrods (no chance of adjustables ever moving and much more stable)
A good pipe like the D&D Fatcat or Supermeg 2 into 1
Tuned with SERT
I have built similar builds with cams like the wood 6, the HQ 0034, and the Andrews 26, also all great cams but you asked for my favorite.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree with Dalton and Bob....I will add that the SE 211 cam is the MOST undesirable cam on the market today, is this my opinion, yes it is based on 5 years of testing and using nothing else but SE Products running the dyno with these builds for 6 hours a day 5 days a week. If you have to use a SE cam I truly believe the 251 is by far the best in the SE line....but the 211....not even a good paper weight when compared to any popular Woods, Andrews, or HQ cams available. Sorry for the bluntness but I see so many people get sucked in on these cams only because the dealer techs read in the SE book on how great they are when in fact they come on slow, need much more compression than what is recommended, and perform in the top end rpm range only. I agree they will give you more power than stock cams will but when you have the opportunity to test side by side with other popular cams you would be crazy to select the 211. Again I don't want to offend anyone who has already took the plunge with the 211, just hate to see people get less than their hard earned money's worty.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:24 AM
bluebagger06
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: BVBOB

Favorite? well, I base this on a few things such as reliability(first off) street manners and mostly for performance per dollar spent, Here goes,
Andrews TW 37 cams (Chain or geardrive)
stock cylinders bored to 95
SE Flat top pistons
stock heads, ported by BigBoyz and setup for 9.6 compression(here at 700 ft above sea level)
SE perfect fit pushrods (no chance of adjustables ever moving and much more stable)
A good pipe like the D&D Fatcat or Supermeg 2 into 1
Tuned with SERT
I have built similar builds with cams like the wood 6, the HQ 0034, and the Andrews 26, also all great cams but you asked for my favorite.
+2 ,Good little build and i easily pull 40 plus mpg

Old 05-11-2008, 09:44 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an 04flthc, 95 flat tops, andrews 26G's, decked 06 heads (no port work) cometic .030 hg, CV40 (46 lsow, 190 main, N72S needle) doherty power pacc air cleaner, Supertrap supermeg, I just had it dynoed (just base line not tuned)and mid 90's torq, high 87 hp. mpg varies but usually over 40mpg unless averaging over 80mph and then it is still 37 or 38mpg. At a constant 70mph 44-45mpg. Pulls right off thebottom and out pulls my buddies fxdx with similar build using 37cams andmore head workin5th gear roll ons from 50mph to about 90mph then he starts to ease ahead. My buddies makes~103 torq and 97 hp so peak numbers arenot everything otherwise withhis lighter bike and bigger numbers he should leave me behind. bothhave stock gearing. He gets a dip because he is running bassani pro streets.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:55 AM
ericsenf
Tourer

I am extremely satisfied with my build. I went mostly Screamin' Eagle parts. 10:1 compression with the SE-251 cam. I'm very happy with ride-ability and performance. She purrs in all the right places, but really growls when I need her to. 103+ HP/106+ TQ.

... and I did take Doc's (and others) advice on the cam choice. The SE-251 is a really nice cam choice. I could have gotten a little more out of her if I would have done 10.5:1 on the compression with my piston choice but, I can't complain.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know your original question and my response was concerning a 95" build. Just something to think about, matched builds with proven components do work. I am running the exact build that Phil is and here is his dyno numbers, https://www.hdforums.com/m_3347271/tm.htm,haven't had mine on the dyno yet but expect similar results.

Once you build, you also need a person that really understands tuning to get the most out of your build.

I do have a suggestion regarding a nice 95" package that I built and ran for 50,000+ miles in my RKC if you are set on mostly HD parts:
HD HTCC Pistons
HD HTCC Heads (not the CNC ported)
Woods TW-5G cams
SE 50mm TB
PC III

This combo made 102hp and 112tq with Rinehart TDs and pulled hard right off idle, although it did start to lose a bit after 4500 rpm, but that is not normally where you ride anyway.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Hrtnrse
Advanced

Awesome! Keep them coming and thanks for all your posts! What do you think is the threshold of reliability? Where does one stop with builds to ensure it's not venturing out on the verge of a possible future roadside problem? Thanks! K

Old 05-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Colonel Sanders
Advanced

I really enjoyed the R&R 525 cams with my 98". A great all around set of cams, IMO. Set 'em to 9.7-10:1. That sets your CCP to 185-192 at sea level.

I think the biggest mistake people make is picking a cam with too late of an intake closing for their proposed CR and/or for their type of bike (you don't want a high strung cam for a heavy bike riding two up for example.) You end up with a build that is way too soft in the RPM range where you ride it the most.

Also, keep in mind that what works well in a larger CI engine will seem like a "bigger" cam in a smaller CI engine.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:10 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been eyeballin the R&R 525 looks a lot like the 37 with more lift. I have not seen many dyno charts with the 525 so I am slightly worried it would be a little soft at my 9.5 to 1. You don't know anyone with a 525 gear drive that they are looking to unload do you LOL.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Colonel Sanders
Advanced

mtclassic, I think I already have my 525s sold.

Did you check out my dyno chart with the 525s? It's on the other site in the dyno section and HDWRENCH has posted here a couple of times too.

I'm not sure but I think the 37 was changed a bit to something very similar to the 525 (the numbers at least. Doesn't tell you a thing about the ramp rates) after the 525s came out. I think the intake closeing of the 37 was earlier before.

Quick Reply: Best 95" kit? cams?