Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

GMR 124" first dyno numbers!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Colonel Sanders
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMR 124" first dyno numbers!

I also posted this on another forum but I know alot of you may not visit that one very often. Appologies to those who've already read it.

The shop called and gave me an update on my bike. They're waiting on a needle for the carb to do the final dyno tuning.

A quick review of the build.

4.125" x 4.625" = 123.62 ci
JIMS crank reworked by Darkhorse
S&S .640 cams
GMR stock ratio rocker arms
Stage IV R&R heads 84.6cc 1.9/1.625
-10 cc reverse dome JE pistons
10.8:1 CR
183 ccp (calculated)
CV51 carb, intake manifold, and air filter
DTT ignition
SE billet cam plate and late model oil pump
Hooker Troublemaker pipes (stepped 1 5/8" - 1 7/8" - 2 1/2") w/medium baffle installed

There is some interesting info here I think.

128/128 SAE
131/131 STD
(I assume these are 5th gear pulls since that is 1:1.)

He said the exhaust note was MUCH quieter than he'd expected and he thinks the pipes are holding it back. He's going to pull the baffles during the next tuning session and see what happens. We both think it's going to pick up a little power. If it does then I'll be ordering a set of the louder baffles which should prove to be less restrictive. However, we may find that these pipes are simply too small with the first stage being only 1 5/8". We'll see.

He also tried it with the filter removed and picked up only 1 ft/lb of TQ and no HP. And I thought the SE filter was supposed to be restrictive? As is often said, the flow bench doesn't tell you everything. I think that's true in large part because the flow bench measures steady state while the engine runs in pulses. Anyway, this is good news since there is no need to go to the larger Woods filter and give up more leg room.

He thinks the intake port and manifold are a bit on the small side for this build. I think he's right but it's alot of trouble to remedy this so I'll leave well enough alone for now since it's already making good power.

Also interesting was that he said he was surprised at the really good low end TQ that it made. I guess these restrictive pipes are good for something! I was afraid that this area might be the weak area due to the low CR of this build.

The needle should be in tomorrow. He's going to see if he can ring a little more out of it then.

All in all I'm pleased. I said I expected low to mid 130s STD and it's already there. Perhaps with the loud baffles, a little more dyno tweaking, some fresh gas (the stuff has been sitting a while now), and a little more breaking in (they say it's 85% broken in at this point) it'll pick up a few more ponies.

Man, I can't wait to ride this thing!!![sm=biker2.gif]

Old 05-20-2008, 02:58 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: GMR 124" first dyno numbers!

Congrats!

That's gotta be an awesome ride in a light bike like your Duece!!!

Old 05-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

nice

Old 05-20-2008, 11:43 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Congrats on the build and thanks for the report.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:30 AM
Colonel Sanders
Advanced

Thanks! I'll keep ya'll posted as we go through the tuneing process. Although the power goals for this build have already been met (130/130+ STD) we are still going to try and wring out a couple more.[sm=drooldude.gif]

The idea for this build was to build a strong running engine with broad power that can survive long miles in the sweltering southeastern heat without cooking itself OR me and that can tolerate poor quality fuel when need be. It is meant to handle extreme altitude changes seamlessly and to get good fuel mileage. We wanted it to be easy to start and very reliable. I am very confident that this build will meet these objectives.[sm=biker.gif]

Old 05-21-2008, 02:34 AM
SK8ROD
Banned

man i am feeling green here[:'(] that sounds awesome,, wish i was you on the first ride, its gonna blow you away! Just out of interest, how much invested in the motor so far?

Old 05-21-2008, 08:38 AM
Ribcracker
Tourer

your going to be one happy biker when you get it on the road belive Me. ALready running soemthing similar and boy your going to be building up your muscles just trying to hang on when you twist that grip and let the gas in... [sm=trust_me.gif]

Old 05-21-2008, 09:50 AM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep us posted on the final numbers and i would at least try and pull those baffle to see what the tq and hp curve does. I have not seen the sheet but those pipes thus far have suprised us. I agree CS that the goal was met, we both know that we could have put more compression to the engine and larger valves to boost the dyno numbers. But that was not your goal, glad your tune is coming out great. Get that new needle in that carb and lets see the final numbers.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:58 AM
Colonel Sanders
Advanced

"Just out of interest, how much invested in the motor so far?"

To be honest, I really haven't paid much attention to the cost. Don't misunderstand me, it's not that I don't care what things cost it's just that in this case I knew exactly what I wanted out of the build so I just did it. Also, I was working with alot of parts left over from the 98" build so that really complicates it. Better ask HDWRENCH (Steve) and get an accurate answer than to get me guessing.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Steelknee57
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to know at what RPM did you get your peak torque? Also should interesting to see where itis with the baffles removed!

Quick Reply: GMR 124" first dyno numbers!