Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

stage 1 advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 03:10 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Default stage 1 advice

Hopefully, all you w/stage one experience came chime in.
OK. I looked in the harley catalog (the one we all get at Christmas.).
I have a stock '04 Ultra Classic. Page 523 of the catalog lists a "screaming eagle stage 1 kit for EFI models" (#29773-02C fits 02-07 EFI Touring).
The description says the kit is "Street legal with stock mufflers."
and "All models require ECM calibration* (priced seperately)".
Thanks for staying with me.
So I go to a Harley dealer this morning, I pull up and ask for the stage 1 kit w/the ECM calibration. I was asked about my bike..."Any mods?" "Pipes?" "Free flow air cleaner?" I say "NOPE" to all the questions. The service check-in dude call the service manager to see if they can fit me in...since I have no resevation. The manager is told what I am there for....and he tells the check-in dude......
that I would need screaming eagle pipes and a super tuner to go with the stage 1 intake. I ask about what the catalog says "Street legal w/stock pipes".....and I am told that if I only install the stage 1 intake w/out the super tuner & Pipes.....they would not gurantee
my bike would run right.
Anyone want to tell me about the smoke blown up my butt?
What would YOUR next course of action be?
I have several dealers within an hour of me.
In my head I am thinking the smoke was pretty thick. I would get differant
pipes later....but I cannot afford $1400 for intake/pipes/ECM cal AND SUPER tuner all at once.

Staying stock for now.

Chuck

Old 05-24-2008, 03:44 PM
winston chopper
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: stage 1 advice

For a stage 1 Ac usually comes with or after pipes. You can get a stage 1 download, but a " stage 1 kit" is just a high flow filter.
Its gonna make your bike breathe better but it really cant with stock pipes.
I think you can do just the download & AC and lets say slip ons.
If your looking to do 1 at a time its usually pipes, then AC and tuner. You cant have a high flow AC without having the bike tuned in some way. I dont think their blowing smoke, there is only so many ways to do it. I paid about $670 for used mufflers from a forum member, fuel pak and stage 1 filter. I found F.P. for $30 less after I bought it.(Eastern Performance)You just need to shop around . J&p cycles has that "BIll me later" and I dont have to pay for my mods till DEC!!!! Good luck and good riding!

Old 05-24-2008, 08:21 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

The problem I have is the catalog says "Street legal with stock pipes."

The dealer leads me to believe my bike "may be" harmed by doing the stage 1 intake
without slip ons and a super tuner.

I understand the bike MAY run better with all that stuff added on together.......but
I want the stage 1 intake and ECM calibration (Page 523 of the Harley catalog#29773-02C fits 02-07 EFI Touring).

I will ask around to differant dealers. Luckily I have a few within an hours
ride.
Before I cough up roughly $1300.......Nah, I will never pay that for a stage 1.
I still smell smoke.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:22 AM
nmfxstc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just do a 103" Stage 2 and be done with it...includes jugs and pistons, 255 cams, AC, slip onsd and ECM download...about 2300 total and worth it iof you wanna stay legal/wearranty, etc.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:29 PM
splitting_lanes
Tourer

you can install the A/C and have your ignition flashed (ECM calibration)....

if you're going to keep going with mods, at some point you'll need a tuner.

the dealer can make a lot more money off you if they can convince you to buy all the additional ****....

Old 05-26-2008, 09:24 PM
mphamrick
Road Warrior

I purchased all of the stuff for the stage one kit when I bought the bike, I got some real good discounts. It is a tuff decision to make
Good Luck

Old 05-27-2008, 04:32 PM
Sublime1
Cruiser

FYI.

That's a total line of Horse feathers.

Stage 1 is technically just a term to denote "no internal modification"....Thus, adding on a SuperCharger is technically stage one since it doesn't touch internals.
(of course, forged pistons, hi quality connecting rods and wrist pins, and new valves and spring are in order, but technically it's true.)

If you are strictly wanting to do the stage 1 hopup for a few extra ponies which would be pipes, intake and an ecu mod, then just bite the bullet and do it.

OR, if you're handy with a wrench and a screwdriver, you can spend 1.5 hrs. install the pipes and intake yourself, and run it up to HD for the good ole $269.00 but reaming and let them just flash your ECU.

This is what I almost did since i bought and installed my intake and exhaust used myself. I was wanting the ECU Stage 1 flash since i am injected and didn't wanna blue my pipes and crater my engine running it super lean.

I decided with only $90 diff between what harley charges for the cartridge and load, that i could buy the Power Commander and never have to go to the shop again for anything other than stage 2 mods like cams, heads, etc.

I can't say enough about the sense of satisfaction i get knowing i torqued every nut myself. And when sweat hits those cuts on your knuckles from the Cylinder fins, it's like a big fat OORAH !

BD

Old 05-27-2008, 05:37 PM
splitting_lanes
Tourer

+1

Old 09-04-2009, 07:24 AM
Clean
Cruiser

By now I'm sure you've already made your Mods, anyway I just bought a Power Commander V, Stage one kit and Rush slip-ons for $700.00. I asemble everything my self, it was really easy and Fuel Moto USA provided all required tec support. I almost forgot to mention the Power Command was mapped to match all my Mods, with this said, my bike runs and sounds great.

Clean
Warhorse Brotherhood MC

Old 09-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Kbore
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Clean
By now I'm sure you've already made your Mods, anyway I just bought a Power Commander V, Stage one kit and Rush slip-ons for $700.00. I asemble everything my self, it was really easy and Fuel Moto USA provided all required tec support. I almost forgot to mention the Power Command was mapped to match all my Mods, with this said, my bike runs and sounds great.

Clean
Warhorse Brotherhood MC
Yep, +1 for Mr. Clean and Fuel Moto (an HDF official sponsor).