Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Plugs foul and backfire on cold starts

Old 07-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Swamphunter
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plugs foul and backfire on cold starts

I have searched through old posts on here, and unless I am missing it, I don't see a post regarding the problem I am having. I have a 96 FXDL (1340)cc, and upon cold start-ups, I have at least one plug that starts to foul, and causes the bike to backfire. Even sitting idling, I have to bring the rpm's up on the throttle, and rev it a couple of times, to keep it from fouling and stalling. What would be the problem? Maybe in need of replacing air filter, or is it a carb jetting issue? What do you guys think?
Thanks

Old 07-09-2008, 08:16 PM
dyna_man05
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Plugs foul and backfire on cold starts

You didn't say, so I have to ask. Do you use the enrichner? And what do you have for an air cleaner/carb set up? That may have some play into your problem. Otherwise, and I am no expert just from experince, I believe your problem may be one or two things. One being that if you use the enrichner, you may be over using it. If not, Then yes I would say you are having carb/jetting issues. With that being said, I also have to ask if you have made any mods to your bike prior to the issues you are having with it. That may lead to something as well. Let us know.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Swamphunter
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Plugs foul and backfire on cold starts

Thanks Dyna_man for the fast reply. My engine has absolutely ZERO modifications to it from stock, other than I switched to Python II pipes back the year I bought the bike. It has ran great all along, up until a start up in my garage over the winter of this past year. My fuel&nbsp\\;has always been stabilized before storage, and never had an issue before now. As for as far as cold starts and using the enricher, here is my routine...
&nbsp\\;
1. Pull enricher out for a cold start
2. Twist throttle 3 or 4 times and release
3. Hit starter switch - bike fires right up
4. Slowly back enricher off as bike is able to idle as throttle comes down
&nbsp\\;
This has always been my routine, and have never had a problem...something IS different, and I am thinking my air filter needs changing....for starters anyways..
&nbsp\\;
On another note, I have changed the plugs, and they are properly gapped...&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;