Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

EVO Tappet Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 07:17 AM
RedBaron
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVO Tappet Replacement

I was told that my '91 FLHTC would need new tappets at 30k miles - I thought it was dealer propaganda.&nbsp\\; But, now at 33k miles my bike is leaking oil &amp\\; it seems to be coming from the rear tappet block weep hole (most of the 33k miles were in Tokyo, so there are a lot more hours on the engine than the odometer would suggest).&nbsp\\; Is it likely that the tappets need to be replaced, or maybe just the pushrods adjusted (we put in adjustable when we replaced the cam- okay, I had help on this).&nbsp\\; Oil pressure is 20-25 psi (&amp\\; I haven't taken off the cooler cover).&nbsp\\; Is there any other reason it would be leaking so much oil?&nbsp\\; Is this something I can do myself (moderately mechanically inclined), or should it go to the dealer?&nbsp\\; It doesn't seem too complicated, but you never know.&nbsp\\; Are there any good step-by-step repair manuals (besides the H-D shop manual, which is starting to fall apart)?&nbsp\\; Thanks.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:49 AM
96 Wide Glide
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: EVO Tappet Replacement

Cant help with your ? as I have'nt changed mine yet, but wondering why you did'nt change lifters when you had camshaft changed?
&nbsp\\;
Cheers... Ben.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:15 PM
RedBaron
6th Gear

Replaced cam at 15k miles- still "lots" of life left in the lifters.&nbsp\\; Also relied on the advice of my buddy &amp\\; the only things besides the cam he suggested replacing were the cam bearing &amp\\; pushrods (went w/ adjustable instead of stock).

Old 08-05-2008, 08:47 AM
mentor70
Road Warrior

My dad changed his lifters at 45K when he told me that the engine started ticking, so I got him a cam and Jims lifters.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:00 PM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Evo lifters ticking is not a uncommon issue, nor would a stock evo lifter failing be uncommom. The big axle version are much stonger and tend not to have as many issues. There are many manufactures of lifters with big axle I would spend the money on a good set. If you have noise it should be inspected for any issues. Most common are a bent or loose axle that will allow the needle bearings to fall out. The picture is of a engine that a customer took to a shop for ticking. They thought it was only a mis adjusted push rod, well they re adjusted the push rod and it caused lifter noise to go away... for a short time. The roller seized in the lifter body and spitting out needles, shearing the oil pump drive key, and wiping out the cam lobe int he process. Metal was through out the entire engine. That would be a worst case experiance. Many shops will say 25,000 miles in stock lifters and you should at least inspect them, however if you have them out why not just replace them with a quality unit and not worry about it any longer. In this picture the lifter that failed is a big axle, I do not know the manufacture of this lifter.

Attached Thumbnails  EVO Tappet Replacement-evo-lifter-and-cam.jpg  

Last edited by HDWRENCH; 08-07-2008 at 02:48 PM.