Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Heads for 95"

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 01:47 AM
kansasroadking
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Heads for 95"

Hey guys, I'd like some opinions on (what or whose, R&R, HQ, Mackie, Branch, etc.) heads would match up best with what I have; '06 Roadking, 95", KB 9:25.1 flattops, Andrews 26g cams.
and what would I potentially stand to gain over my stock '06 heads?

Thanks,

K.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:38 AM
new_mentor70
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a cylinder head that has overly large intake porting would hurt your build.

so, getting the package you have working better would not realy require much porting at all.

I have a HQ 95 kit and I have talked to Doug many times regarding my setup, and I would say that to realy get the most from HQ, you would need to change cams and increase compresion to 10.1! then you would see alot of improvment in there head work as all the parts are working together.

basicly who ever you choose to do head work should try to sell you a touring port job which isnt very radical.

Like bigboyz or Deweys is who id choose if I didnt want to get into the rest of the engine. head work would be from 400 to 700$

HQ and R&R would be more like 950 to 1400$ and they would recomend more than just head work.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:55 AM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member

With the 26G cam I'm not sure you would gain much if any with head work. I consider that cam as a replacement cam and should show improvement throughout. If it is assembled already, be happy. If not be careful. new mentor is giving good advice. You cant get your money back if you are not happy. Research and more research.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:25 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Good advice above. Give Doug or Kevin at HQ a call--they're straight shooters.

The Andrews 26 is a nice bolt in cam, but if you want a seriously powerful and reliable performance 95" you will need to change cams.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:58 PM
kansasroadking
Road Captain

Thanks guys,
just lookin for more passing power & cooler head temps when I'm pullin the trailer, without detonating itself to death...
maybe just a cam change and leave the heads alone?? R&R 525 has good looking specs..?? I had S&S 510's, I did not like them at all... but it did make 97-99 tq on the dyno with them, just could not tune out the pinging during hot weather...

Last edited by kansasroadking; 08-14-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:07 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member

The 525 and 510 are pretty similar except the 510 has more exhaust duration. So what I am understanding, you have been running this set up with the 510s? Please do a static compression test and let us know what it is. I think the tuner didn't do an optimum tune to be pinging when hot. It sounds like he did the tune for max TQ and HP and nothing else. Glad I have a Tmax.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:09 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The 26's don't seem to like head work.........just don't respond well to it.

If you want to have some headwork done, check out www.bigboyzheadporting.com

A good bagger cam with the proper setup is the Woods TW-6, great power from start to finish.........best cam I've used.

Steve

Old 08-14-2008, 06:46 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve is right, in that the Andrews 26 really does not gain much from head work.

If touring with a trailer is what you wanna setup for, then the HQ "Touring" or "Heavy Touring" package would be just about ideal for you. Have a read about them here: http://www.head-quarters-usa.com/customtwintypet.html

There are many ways to accomplish you goal, but piece-mealing random parts will leave you frustrated ~ TRUST ME on that!

What ever you settle on, be sure the components are known to work well together and produce repeatable results.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:43 PM
kansasroadking
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FXSTDSE2
The 525 and 510 are pretty similar except the 510 has more exhaust duration. So what I am understanding, you have been running this set up with the 510s? Please do a static compression test and let us know what it is. I think the tuner didn't do an optimum tune to be pinging when hot. It sounds like he did the tune for max TQ and HP and nothing else. Glad I have a Tmax.
Thanks,
Yes, I used to have the 510's in, installed the 26's last summer and that helped the ping alot.
front 172 rear 169
rear head temp runs around 340-360, no matter the jetting or timing, been up & down & sideways with all that...
I'm the tuner .... got a carb...

Old 08-14-2008, 08:58 PM
kansasroadking
Road Captain

Originally Posted by PhilM
Steve is right, in that the Andrews 26 really does not gain much from head work.

If touring with a trailer is what you wanna setup for, then the HQ "Touring" or "Heavy Touring" package would be just about ideal for you. Have a read about them here: http://www.head-quarters-usa.com/customtwintypet.html

There are many ways to accomplish you goal, but piece-mealing random parts will leave you frustrated ~ TRUST ME on that!

What ever you settle on, be sure the components are known to work well together and produce repeatable results.
Thanks Phil, I have read about your "adventures" and highly regard your wise advise...
a total HQ build would be the ultimate, but I don't have that kinda jack... just trying to get this thing cooled off for the least amount of $, the heat from the motor don't bother me... just the rear head temps (340-360) and pinging now n again have me chasing my tail, shoulda never bought that damned ir gun!!

Quick Reply: Heads for 95"