Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Stripping Gas Tank Sealer

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 11:00 AM
Carl11
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripping Gas Tank Sealer

My '94 Dyna Low Rider's gas tank has rust spots in it and I want to clean it and coat it with the POR15 process. But I see that the tank is already sealed with a coating on the inside from the factory. So I guess that I need to remove this coating first.

I have read about using stripper products or abrasives for this process. Stripper sounds easiest to me but I am worried about completely dissolving the coating and getting it all out. I am also worried about getting stripper on the exterior paint job which is is good condition.

Does anyone have a specific stripper to recommend which will completely dissolve the interior coating? How do you protect the exterior paint from the stripper? Is there a commercial place that will remove an interior gas tank coating and preserve the outside paint job?

thanks,
Carl

Old 08-19-2008, 05:42 PM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had tanks re-coated in nickel to stop the liner issues. But it is spendy!!!! I have used acatone to remove the coating. you may have to lit it sit over night. Most times is will dissolve into the acatone and you just pour it out and then flush the tank. You can use a product called cream to recoat the inside. Seems to work decent. I would not try paint stripper inside as if you get any on the the paint you will have even bigger issues.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:33 PM
Renegade1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a kit by POR15, it had a solution to strip the existing coating, another etch the metal and the last one was a new coating. Long process but it came out good.