Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

GMR 98" questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 12:58 PM
mr-moen
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMR 98" questions

i am thinking of getting a gmr 98 this winter, i was going to do a 95" kit with headwork but this seems to be a better setup for about $1000 more, i was wondering for those of you that have them, what kinds of numbers did you make and what exhaust are you running, also what are your overall impressions of the kit, as far as reliability goes, any problems? how many miles have you put on? any input would be greatly appreciated

Old 09-30-2008, 05:44 PM
otterbob
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Made 100hp and 114tq on my ol Fatboy. 37g cams, GMR heads. DO NOT go the nikasil cylinder route! Have GMR bore a stock set of cylinders.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:42 PM
new_mentor70
Tourer

Originally Posted by mr-moen
i am thinking of getting a gmr 98 this winter, i was going to do a 95" kit with headwork but this seems to be a better setup for about $1000 more, i was wondering for those of you that have them, what kinds of numbers did you make and what exhaust are you running, also what are your overall impressions of the kit, as far as reliability goes, any problems? how many miles have you put on? any input would be greatly appreciated
The GMR 98 kit is 1000$ more than a 95 kit? whos kit?

I have a HQ 95 that has #s the same as the last poster, I would rather save the 1K, or put it toward a 6speed trans!

Old 10-01-2008, 09:27 AM
speedglide
Tourer

Originally Posted by new_mentor70
The GMR 98 kit is 1000$ more than a 95 kit? whos kit?

I have a HQ 95 that has #s the same as the last poster, I would rather save the 1K, or put it toward a 6speed trans!
I took it as he's referring to just a big bore kit- HD parts, the jugs, pistons, cams only, no headwork...
Jason

Old 10-01-2008, 11:40 PM
SuperAhcmed
Banned

Originally Posted by otterbob
Made 100hp and 114tq on my ol Fatboy. 37g cams, GMR heads. DO NOT go the nikasil cylinder route! Have GMR bore a stock set of cylinders.
This is a load of BS. Do not go 98" nikasil cylinders? Sounds like user error on installation to me.

If your having piston slap, then it sounds like you didnt gap your rings corrently, check the piston to cylinder wall clearance through the entire STROKE, or you didnt break em in properly but most likely its some combination of the 3 potential issues just mentioned.

The Nikasil cylinders are far superior to the old style iron lined cylinders if setup and installed CORRECTLY.

Most people dont realise that the nikasil lined aluminum cylinders and forged piston setup need much tighter piston to wall clearance since expansion characteristics are very similiar. Most people setup tolerances based on an iron lined cylinder wall and this is WRONG!

My 98" setup doesnt burn or consume a drop of oil, nor do my pistons "slap".

One bit of advice though, dont go through GMR, go through NRHS performance. This is a real deal shop and they sell superior Axtell nikasil cylinders. Not the "Millenium/revolution performance" crap that GMR has pushed in the past............

Last edited by SuperAhcmed; 10-27-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:15 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

if you went with Baisley super stock heads , tw6 cam and 95 in cylinders and pistons you will be over 100/100.
now the only way to get some real power out of a a 98in kit is to go thu axtell or nrhs.
cyl and pistons.
or have some one bore your stock cylinders to 98in.
hyper performace or hillside does this and stand behind their work as others dont thats a fact...
imo 95 in , baisley heads , 6 cam .030 hg 10.0 compression will make you a very happy guy.
want more power alls ya got to do is up the compression and go to a tw6hg cam and it will rock. been where you are thinking dont do it....

Old 10-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mr-moen
PM BryanTTM. He had a GMR 98" with the nikasil lined cylinders and loved it. Others have had less good fortune: PM PhilM and Hotpursuit.

Nikasil cylinders cannot be machined by the engine builder. Stock cylinders can be bored to 98" precisely and the pistons selected to match. IMO, the cost difference for the nikasil doesn't justify whatever advantage, if any, they have over stock cylinders.

Good luck with your research and project.

Take a look at Head-Quarters also. You can spec and price your build on their website:

http://www.head-quarters-usa.com/ushome.html

Old 10-03-2008, 09:24 AM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny as Axtell is no longer making the coated cylinders either. Give NHRS a call and ask them about the REV cylinders . We where not the only shop to have huge issues with them. Give RC cycles a call they also had issues. The list of shops that had issue is a long one.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If your having piston slap, then it sounds like you didnt gap your rings corrently,
Please explain how an improper ring end gap can affect piston slap.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:18 PM
stevelacy
Advanced

have to agree with most that the nickasil is a little shady, jaguar used this technique for a while in there sadans and the engines would burn oil like crazy after a short while, speculate the coating is very hard and rings don't like to seat in well. i like the cast iron because it's much more stable, ever talk to anyone about how much these aluminum engines grow when they get hot? wonder how much distortion happens when you get a set of millenium cylinders good and hot? i'll stick with my axtell 4.125 iron cylinders.

Quick Reply: GMR 98" questions