Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

103 kit VS heads and cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 06:29 PM
Pirate Boy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 103 kit VS heads and cam

I was talking to a dealer today about doing a stage 2 103 kit on a new EG b4 i pick it up . (Thinking about trading my dyna in). Now i know for the money i can get better cheaper but i want to get it financed in with the bike and warranted threw the dealer .

SO i thought about the stage 2 103 kit , SE slip ons SE255 cams . Sert ect

They suggested doing the SE kompressor heads , SE 255 cams ( or woods cams) SE AC and V&H slipon ovals , said it should out perform the 103stage 2 kit
then maybe doing the 103 bore and piston with it

So my ? is what do you all think of the build the dealer suggested ?

Old 10-26-2008, 07:06 PM
skyhook
Tourer

the stage 2 kit works good, makes great torque, runs out of steam above 4500 rpm...skip the kompressor heads, stock ones work fine for the stage 2

Old 10-26-2008, 08:15 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

imo i think you are crazy for touching a brand new bike...
save your money and buy a TTS right now and have the new bike tuned. ride it for a season then determin what ya want.
just because you get it financed in with your loan dont make it any better of a bargin. its still a dealer build.
get the tts when you get the bike and get it tuned you might end up with as much power as that bolt on crap from the stealer.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:34 PM
Pirate Boy
Tourer

Originally Posted by SEDELUXE
imo i think you are crazy for touching a brand new bike...
save your money and buy a TTS right now and have the new bike tuned. ride it for a season then determin what ya want.
just because you get it financed in with your loan dont make it any better of a bargin. its still a dealer build.
get the tts when you get the bike and get it tuned you might end up with as much power as that bolt on crap from the stealer.
Ive been called worse than crazy LOL , I also have a 07 with a stage1 with a sert, so i have a general idea of what i want just not sure about the way the dealer said to build it with the heads and cams VS the Stage2 103 kit

I agree that its still a dealer build and its NOT really a bargin but with my finances , it works for me better and i can get what i want. Im just looking for more than just a stage 1 set up with a tuner , and having it warranted threw the dealer means alot to me
. Then they cant give me a bunch of crap about any kind of warranty work because someone else messed with it. I know they have to fix stuff as long as its not related to whatever was changed by me or a indy but id rather not have the hassle

I dont think you could get as much hp/tq as you would even bolt ons from a tune.

Peace
Ride Safe

Old 10-26-2008, 09:17 PM
speedjunkie
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the warranty going to be thru the dealer or the moco? I didn't think the moco would stand behind ANY engine work aside from what comes directly from the factory, dealership or otherwise. So, that means it's going to be a dealer only warranty, your dealer only. No other dealer in the country will touch it, without a cost to you. If that works better for you, then go for it! The glide should be a blast!

Mike

Old 10-26-2008, 09:37 PM
skyhook
Tourer

hell, the first thing I do to a new bike is sh--can all the smog garbage parts they put on them...F the warranty!...I want a cool running, powerful bike...the upgrades we do make them less likely to fail

Old 10-26-2008, 10:08 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 my RG was almost a month old -- did the 107 once you ride a a bike with motor work nothing else will do
Originally Posted by skyhook
hell, the first thing I do to a new bike is sh--can all the smog garbage parts they put on them...F the warranty!...I want a cool running, powerful bike...the upgrades we do make them less likely to fail

Old 10-27-2008, 07:23 AM
newrench
Cruiser

I just did a 103" kit on a 2003 Dyna with mostly Harley Screamin eagle parts. Im very happy with the torque curve for having "bolt in cams".
SE 103" flywheel
SE 42mm carb
SE 211 cams
SE flat top pistons
SE heads
SE adjustable pushrods
SE ignition
Zippers high flow air cleaner
S&S slip on mufflers
H-D 3.37 gear ratio
V.P.C clutch kit
.030" cometic head gasket
105 HP 114 TQ

Last edited by newrench; 10-27-2008 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:55 AM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by speedjunkie
Is the warranty going to be thru the dealer or the moco? I didn't think the moco would stand behind ANY engine work aside from what comes directly from the factory, dealership or otherwise. So, that means it's going to be a dealer only warranty, your dealer only. No other dealer in the country will touch it, without a cost to you. If that works better for you, then go for it! The glide should be a blast!

Mike

The stage II kit that HD sells will be fully covered by the 2 year MoCo warranty if the work is done before you pick up the bike.

Pirate...there is nothing wrong with the HD stage II kits. There are plenty of people that have them and are happy. The key is getting your bike tuned correctly after the break-in period.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:05 AM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

i have seen over 90/90 with the new bikes a/c and slipons..
tuned correctly . yes the power dies off quickly becaue of the heads and cam.
baisley heads and a tw6 woods cam with a 103 that thing will rock....
see if you can get them to send your heads out or get another set and see if they will send those out just do heads and a cam. thats will give you the best bang for your buck now.
or do the se 103 like you said

Quick Reply: 103 kit VS heads and cam