Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Woods TW-6g and TW-6

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 09:05 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Woods TW-6g and TW-6

If anyone has read my other post, you know I am considering new cams and going with a gear drive set up. I like what I have read about the Woods TW-6g for a gear drive cam. Good low to mid range torque, good in an 88" and can be used in a 95" kit as well (which I plan to do down the line). Anyway, if I choose to stay with the chain set up, is the TW-6 the same cam, just the chain drive version? And, is there a better chain driven cam for what I am wanting?

I already have a PCIII and a D&D Fat Cat will go on the bike at the same time.

thanks

Old 12-15-2008, 09:29 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Toby, they're the same cam, but the "G" is for gear. Gear drive set up is the way for you to go.....it costs a little more, but is worth it......should really wake your fatty up.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:51 PM
NTrat
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WARG
If anyone has read my other post, you know I am considering new cams and going with a gear drive set up. I like what I have read about the Woods TW-6g for a gear drive cam. Good low to mid range torque, good in an 88" and can be used in a 95" kit as well (which I plan to do down the line). Anyway, if I choose to stay with the chain set up, is the TW-6 the same cam, just the chain drive version? And, is there a better chain driven cam for what I am wanting?

thanks
Going gear drive allows you to eliminate a wear/failure point, thus improving reliability.

On the cam, may want to call up Wes Brown at Cycle-Rama and check out his new lineup of cams. I just replaced my Woods 6G cam with the new CR590 cam and it made a significant "seat of the pants" difference in low end pull.

Specs if interested:

CR 590 cams

Intake open 16 close 40 .591 lift TDC .171 102LC 236 duration
Ex. open 46 close 15 .588 lift TDC .166 105.5LC 241 duration

31 degrees overlap LSA 103.75

I run this cam with a 3.37 gearing setup on a Jims 6 speed

SuperA. who installed and recommended this new camshaft runs a slightly hotter version( CR 595 I think its called) with a new Baker 3.46 primary/clutch setup and its pretty impressive the acceleration he gets off the line from the modest sized engine he runs.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:17 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

thanks for the info guys

Beau, gear drive is what I am wanting to do, the crank runout thing has me a little bumfuzzled right now. I have time to get it all worked out though.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:07 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=WARG;4239264]If anyone has read my other post, you know I am considering new cams and going with a gear drive set up. I like what I have read about the Woods TW-6g for a gear drive cam. Good low to mid range torque, good in an 88" and can be used in a 95" kit as well (which I plan to do down the line). Anyway, if I choose to stay with the chain set up, is the TW-6 the same cam, just the chain drive version? And, is there a better chain driven cam for what I am wanting?

thanks[/QUOTE you got it right warg. the tw6g is a great bolt in cam , a 510 lift is all you need. and will serve you fine if you kick it up to 95. trust me i did this exact build, woods cams make real TORQUE MONSTERS. assuming your crank run out is with in specs, the play in your crank, side to side movement. i believe the tw6 is the same , just chain drive. if not check out bob woods , andrews or head-quarters websites. see what they have to offer. good luck.

Last edited by hpfatboy; 12-16-2008 at 05:29 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:56 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Go with the Woods Cams.............you'll be very happy.

I have the TW-6G cams in my bike, and I'm very happy with the results from my overall build.

Make sure all components compliment each other, and you'll have a good running bike when you are done.

Steve

Old 12-16-2008, 06:01 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by maineultraclassic
Go with the Woods Cams.............you'll be very happy.

I have the TW-6G cams in my bike, and I'm very happy with the results from my overall build.

Make sure all components compliment each other, and you'll have a good running bike when you are done.

Steve
amen steve, couldnt have said it better and in so few words.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:19 AM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NTrat
Going gear drive allows you to eliminate a wear/failure point, thus improving reliability.

On the cam, may want to call up Wes Brown at Cycle-Rama and check out his new lineup of cams. I just replaced my Woods 6G cam with the new CR590 cam and it made a significant "seat of the pants" difference in low end pull.

Specs if interested:

CR 590 cams

Intake open 16 close 40 .591 lift TDC .171 102LC 236 duration
Ex. open 46 close 15 .588 lift TDC .166 105.5LC 241 duration

31 degrees overlap LSA 103.75

I run this cam with a 3.37 gearing setup on a Jims 6 speed

SuperA. who installed and recommended this new camshaft runs a slightly hotter version( CR 595 I think its called) with a new Baker 3.46 primary/clutch setup and its pretty impressive the acceleration he gets off the line from the modest sized engine he runs.

Are you running this cam with stock heads? .591 lift sounds like a pretty high lift without doing headwork. I could see this making sense with a nice set of heads, but I don't know that it'd work for someone who is looking for only a cam swap at this time.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:58 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

Originally Posted by WARG

thanks
Gear drive is great. Get the helical set from woods, even quieter.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:46 AM
NTrat
Banned

Originally Posted by beaureed445
Are you running this cam with stock heads? .591 lift sounds like a pretty high lift without doing headwork. I could see this making sense with a nice set of heads, but I don't know that it'd work for someone who is looking for only a cam swap at this time.
Headwork does need to be done. Didnt see the mention where he was only using stock heads. He would experience coilbind with stock heads of course using these cams.

Quick Reply: Woods TW-6g and TW-6