Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Twincam 88 Expectations

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 06:38 PM
dolson911
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twincam 88 Expectations

OK. So I did the requried air cleaner, pipe changes and SERT. Dynoed at 69hp and 73ft-lbs. So I take a look at some of the numbers here http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hplist_twin_cam.htm for comparable figures and I see that some bikes with similar configurations are pulling more torque with stock pipes.

What can you possibly get out of an 88 without doing major work? I'd consider anything that requires pistons/cylinders or splitting the cases major work. Heads, cams and intake work is fine. Split the cases and my wife will know it's not just routine maintenance. Take the head off - hey, it's just routine cleaning. Cams - just part of an oil change...

Oh, I'm still happy with what I've done. It's just that you can never be too happy - though I'd like to try to get there under the radar.

-DO

Old 04-12-2006, 08:22 PM
but Ill try 2 try
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Twincam 88 Expectations

What A/C did you use, what pipes? With a SERT those numbers sound about 5 HP and 5 ft/lbs short of what most people get out of a SERT dyno tune. How long did they spend tuning it cause SERT's take awhile. I think you could do better with your current mods.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:39 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cams will make the biggest single difference. Cams & ported heads will make an even better difference.

I bet Springer_ can chime in on this with some more specifics and possibly help with expectation management....

Springer_ - you reading these?

Old 04-13-2006, 10:49 AM
dolson911
Cruiser

but Ill try 2 try,

I went with the SE A/C (stage 1) and V&H BSS. Looks like they spent 2+ hours and did at least 8 runs with it. They state that they are SERT knowledgeable (it's a dealer and not an independent).

-DO

Old 04-13-2006, 11:19 AM
claydbal
Cruiser

the pipes are hurting you!!

Old 04-14-2006, 04:40 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

I agree, the pipes are hurting you. Go back to stock head pipes and some good slip ons. Or, if you have the dough, a good set of 2-1's, like Supertrapp.

If you're going to get any power, you need to change cams.

There's no replacement for displacement. You can't beat cubes. Once the heads are off, it's a pretty simple matter to change the pistons and cylinders. And not that expensive. Bore out the stock cylinders, and add cast flat top pistons.

Old 04-14-2006, 10:48 AM
dolson911
Cruiser

Thanks bob and cladbal,

I probably won't swap out the pipes. I like the look too much to go back to the factory pipes. I have a ProPipe on my other bike and it works great. I don't happen to like the look on a Fatboy.

I guess I'll have to do the cams, pistons and cylinders later. Then again, my wife does want me to swap out the zinc hardware with polished stainless. I guess I could say that the old cylinders don't match the new hardware...

-DO

Old 04-14-2006, 11:51 AM
but Ill try 2 try
Road Warrior

After you get done paahking the caah in Haahvad Yaahd, sorry couldn't resist saw you're from Mass, you should search the forums for people with your same parts setup. I think I've seen some SERTS, with V&H, and a SE A/C get near 79/79. Above poster probably right about adding back some good Screamin' Eagles. Still if it's an improvement over stock performance and you like the look then ride on. Maybe you could find a different and better performing baffle for those BSS.

Old 04-14-2006, 01:26 PM
dolson911
Cruiser

Thanks. I'm not sure if I go back to the standard baffles that I'll get much. I have heard that some have noticed changes between the quiet and standard baffles. But you're right, if I like the look and sound, live with it.

Fortunately, I'm originally from Minnesota so I've got the midwest/scandanavian inflection instead of that rediculous Boston twang...

-DO

Old 04-14-2006, 08:03 PM
vernh59
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dyno numbers can be VERY misleading. How does the bike pull? Do you like the way it runs? As far as cams go I just put SE 204's in my bagger and it made a BIG difference.

Quick Reply: Twincam 88 Expectations