Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Gear drive & cams for 2005 road king is this a good upgrade ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 07:17 AM
zippyzz
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear drive & cams for 2005 road king is this a good upgrade ?

I have a 2005 roadking with vance& hines 2into1 header and rhinehart slip ons ; big air sucker ; power comander I've been told that An andrews direct gear drive with adjustable pushrods and 204 cams would wake it up and be very reliable. Has anybody went this direction and is this the best set up ?

Old 01-01-2009, 08:28 AM
electra glide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went cheap and went with the SE 203 cams. Didn't need the new pushrods etc. Mine's an 05 FLHT w/ very similar upgrades to yours. It worked, the engine runs a little faster in the low to mid range. Gear drive makes it so you don't have to worry about the chain tensioners failing. In hindsight I should've done it, and probably will later.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:30 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

First off............a V&H 2-1 header with Rinehart slip-ons...........how did you do that?

Second...........the 204 cams is a chain drive cam, won't work with gears.

You have to get gear drive cams in order to use gears. Andrews, S&S, Woods, and a few others make gear drive cams........you just have to decide if you are going to leave the motor at 88" with stock heads and go with the cam for it.

No Screamin Eagle cams are gear drive..........they are all chain drive.

Steve

Old 01-01-2009, 10:14 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by zippyzz
I have a 2005 roadking with vance& hines 2into1 header and rhinehart slip ons ; big air sucker ; power comander I've been told that An andrews direct gear drive with adjustable pushrods and 204 cams would wake it up and be very reliable. Has anybody went this direction and is this the best set up ?
Were your still celebrating the new years when you wrote that

Andrews gear drive w/204 cams?

Old 01-01-2009, 10:44 AM
zippyzz
Intermediate

thanks for the feed back I have vance & hinds 2inti 1 header w/rhinehart eagebeaks .the preformance shop I'm dealing with made this suggustion andrews gear drive;204 cams ; cut orignal pushrods put in adjustable ones . what I'm hearing is this is a good basic change for more low & mid range torgue Right?

Old 01-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the preformance shop I'm dealing with made this suggustion andrews gear drive;204 cams
As maineultraclassic said, 204 cam are chain drive only. You need to find a new indy who knows which end is up.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by zippyzz
thanks for the feed back I have vance & hinds 2inti 1 header w/rhinehart eagebeaks .the preformance shop I'm dealing with made this suggustion andrews gear drive;204 cams ; cut orignal pushrods put in adjustable ones . what I'm hearing is this is a good basic change for more low & mid range torgue Right?
If your shop is telling you gear drive/204 combo then look for another shop. Quickly!
BTW, we are on Rt. 46, 7 miles south of Oneida, N.Y.

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.

Last edited by Hillsidecycle.com; 01-02-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:01 PM
rkc05
Intermediate

Andrews cams in a chain drive with your set up tw37's would work well and I'm pretty sure you can get them in gear drive as well. All kinds of debate about gear drive chain drive, gear drive does get rid of tensioner issues, but costs a lot more. I believe the JIMS 120 motors run chain drive cams and those motors put out way more than mine ever will.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:20 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Going to gears doesn't cost that much more if you have to change your tensioners. The difference between a new set of tensioners and gears is about 200 bucks.

I love my gear drive. Not worrying about the tensioners wearing out now gives me plenty of time to focus on when my belt is gonna break.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:59 PM
rkc05
Intermediate

Way up here in Canada new cams and tensioners 500 bucks installed, gear drives installed about 1100, but I agree will have to change tensioners every now and again. Changed mine to Andrews TW37's at 32000 kms and they were just starting to flake a little, but weren't wore more than 1/4, changed to bigger cams again TW55 at 40000 kms and was just a little mark on em. Good until 60000 I figure and check em again.

Quick Reply: Gear drive & cams for 2005 road king is this a good upgrade ?