Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner Upgrade (Cam Crazy)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:13 AM
Kbore
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner Upgrade (Cam Crazy)

HD 25284-08 converts 02 to 06's to the new BILLET cam plate, single row front cam chain and sprockets , hydraulic tensioners and new oil pump. Any one installed one or have feedback?

I would be almost halfway there with (2) new tensioners anyway. I'm thinkin' that if I'm gonna be in there anyway...this would pay for itself in added reliability and the oil flow is a free bonus.

Any one installed one or have feedback? Can be had for $350.

(Fixin to install some mild bagger cams in an 02 Stage I 88CI Road King with 15K miles)

KB

Old 03-09-2009, 08:00 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,955 Likes on 1,711 Posts

That uses stock cams and is good for the tensioner and pump upgrade. If you want different cams I'd do the conversion kit instead. It will give you Andrews 26 cams and all parts needed. I'd shoot an email to John at herko@insightbb.com and ask him for a price on his kit which will give you all the parts needed. He's also the one that sells the good fuel line disconnects. Tell him road-dawgs1 told you to email him.

Last edited by dawg; 03-09-2009 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:48 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

I believe Kbore already has the 26's in hand. If your tensioners need replacing, the plate upgrade sounds like a good idea.

The upgrade dawg mentions requires the newer style cams that do not use the outer bearings, which your cams came with and require. The newer style plate has sleeves that the cams ride on instead of outer bearings. Much easier to install the cams, no bearings to press.

Dawg is right, contact Herko and at least see what your options are.

Last edited by KumaRide; 03-09-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Kbore
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
I believe Kbore already has the 26's in hand. If your tensioners need replacing, the plate upgrade sounds like a good idea.

The upgrade dawg mentions requires the newer style cams that do not use the outer bearings, which your cams came with and require. The newer style plate has sleeves that the cams ride on instead of outer bearings. Much easier to install the cams, no bearings to press.

Dawg is right, contact Herko and at least see what your options are.
Here I go down the road to Money Pit Hell........

Old 03-09-2009, 02:10 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Kbore
Here I go down the road to Money Pit Hell........
Kbore, Sounds like you are on a budget also. A lot of people do not upgrade to the new plates. Yes, the cam plate is an upgrade, but it does not mean it is worth the extra money to everyone. It seems like you do not put a lot of miles on your bike, an 02 with 15k miles, so it may not be worth the extra money to you. In other words, their is nothing wrong with keeping the tensioners and replacing them again 30k+ miles from now - which is several years from now. 1000's of bikes with high miles are running great with the tensioners.

fwiw - I kept my tensioners and may, or may not, upgrade to the plate in the future. If in the next couple years I find a good deal on the newer style plate I may get one. Otherwise, the tensioners will work fine too.

What Im sayin is, their are several choices now, but that does not mean your current setup will not work or is not a good option also.

Last edited by KumaRide; 03-09-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:19 PM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

There are two from Harley, one that uses the bearings and one that doesnt.
There are two differant part numbers if you will....
The kit herko sells is a good deal when you consider it includes some new allen bolts , cam lube and locktite with gaskets also,
Harley will nickle and dime you with a gasket set and bearings and a spacer kit that you may or not need.
On another Bboard , GeneP have done a version that includes the high volume oil pump conversion with pics, it looks easy enough.
Again, there are several options and herko is a tab bit more competitive in his pricing when you factor in his additions and he beats it with shipping.
Kbore, search my name and see the comments on a guy from Las Vegas who just did a conversion this past weekend.
Im waiting for the weather to warm up before I dig in.
Rob

Old 03-09-2009, 07:11 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,955 Likes on 1,711 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Kbore, Sounds like you are on a budget also. A lot of people do not upgrade to the new plates. Yes, the cam plate is an upgrade, but it does not mean it is worth the extra money to everyone. It seems like you do not put a lot of miles on your bike, an 02 with 15k miles, so it may not be worth the extra money to you. In other words, their is nothing wrong with keeping the tensioners and replacing them again 30k+ miles from now - which is several years from now. 1000's of bikes with high miles are running great with the tensioners.

fwiw - I kept my tensioners and may, or may not, upgrade to the plate in the future. If in the next couple years I find a good deal on the newer style plate I may get one. Otherwise, the tensioners will work fine too.

What Im sayin is, their are several choices now, but that does not mean your current setup will not work or is not a good option also.
Right on. Lots of options. Choose which one best fits you.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:25 PM
mafosa
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have this new hybrid kit. i has a black billet SE plate (w/ bearings), oil pump, bunch of spacers, new bolts, hydralic tensioners and misc. i have andrews 26 chained cams and everything transfers over fine. just make sure you order there spacer kit, gasket kit and bolt kit. if your rear cam already has the bearing race, washer and O-ring you dont need to put the new one on. i have been riding all weekend with it. slightly quiter. by the way, i didnt put my baisley spring back in. tensioner shoe problem fixed.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:29 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Does my 06 Dyna have the new tensioner set up that is in the 07?

Old 03-09-2009, 10:33 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

06 Dyna has the newer cam plate and hydraulic tensioners. You are safe.

Quick Reply: Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner Upgrade (Cam Crazy)