Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Fuel Leaking quick Disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 09:26 PM
jimmyz
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Leaking quick Disconnect

We disconnected the fuel line EFI. Put it back on and now I have a major fuel leak. We changed the o ring in the disconnect and also put another fuel line on. Quit leaking for a couple days and now started back. Any ideas would be appreciated JimmyZ

Old 04-03-2009, 03:06 PM
jam65
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just connected my fuel fitting and it too is leaking.Been indoors all winter.Hope also for a response.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:21 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

O rings need lube whenever you slip a fitting through them. A dab of oil will keep them from tearing and leaking whenever reinstall is done.
Ron

Old 04-03-2009, 06:15 PM
jam65
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks,that worked.

Last edited by jam65; 04-03-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:25 AM
jimmyz
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ROBBED ANOTHER O RING OUT OF A DISCONNECT AND FIXED IT SO FAR. FINGERS CROSSED jIMMYz

Old 04-21-2009, 01:27 AM
1711tab
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyz
We disconnected the fuel line EFI. Put it back on and now I have a major fuel leak. We changed the o ring in the disconnect and also put another fuel line on. Quit leaking for a couple days and now started back. Any ideas would be appreciated JimmyZ

Replace the o-ring and put some lube on it when reinstalling it...

Old 01-22-2011, 02:46 PM
SGAL1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I discovered mine leaking today at the quick disconnect.
My Harley Dealer told me they can't replace the o-ring indavidually....that I would have to replace the entire quick disconnect fitting. $150 plus tax....ouch!!
1) How did you guys dig out the old o-ring without tearing it up? Does it come out pretty easily?
2) Where did you find the correct replacement o-ring? I imagine the inside and outside diameter of this replacement has to be an exact match to the original one. I know I can probably buy o-rings at any auto parts store...so I guess my main goal will be to get the old one out without tearing it up. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by SGAL1; 01-22-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:18 PM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Finding o-rings at local hardware stores and discount houses can be a challenge. Most of the ones Harley uses are metric. They try and find the most impossible, or foreign-made product so there is no way a person can make his/her own repairs. They can get the repeat business and call the shots on what you can and can't purchase.

I have little experience with the post MM systems, but have posted ways to make fixes to the pre-00 EFI connections in a manner that takes the stealership out of the loop. The problem with the o-rings is that a metric size may be very close to an SAE size "to the eye", but the SAE size will not work. A 5/8 x 2mm (just for an instance) is very close to a 15.8mm x 2mm....but it is slightly larger enough not to work in the intended application.

I have found a site that may be able to sell the individual o-rings. Try bikebandit.com. and navigate your way to your model. They have all the diagrams and can point you to the exact part...and likely the correct o-ring. If the dealer will only sell you the "kit" and not just the o-rings, you may have to resort to that, or try bikebandit. I have made it a point to always have at least one set of o-rings that will fit any fuel related o-ring on my rides.

Bikebandit sells under their particular part number, but when you get the product, it usually has the HD part number on the package also. I am not advertising for bikebandit. It's just that is the only site I have found in which you can do some detailed research and will always get an HD part...no matter what PN: they call it.

Last edited by 0734; 01-23-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:58 PM
WhiteGoldSG
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do a search, this problem has come up before ( I had this problem also). in one of the threads, a part number is given for a Harley o-ring meant for something else that will work. I used it myself and I believe DAWG was the one who gave me the part number. It has been in place for over a year now and no leaks. If I could remember the part number I would just give it to you, beccause I HATE when I ask a question and I get someone replying "do a search", but unfortunately right now, i cant help. I will look back at some old notes and see if I can find it.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I don''t think anybody mentioned the model year here, but I believe you guys are talking about the single-line Delphi system?

I will tell you that if I had to put up with this....it would be only one time before I figured out a way to create an alternate fitting.

Quick Reply: Fuel Leaking quick Disconnect