Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Cam Choice - Opinions??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 09:00 AM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Choice - Opinions??

A friend of mine is looking for an opinon on Cam Change for a 2006 Ultra Classic
Stock motor with the 25 degree injectors. I think that he told me that he plans on putting Sampson Slip ons on the new bike too w/ stage one AC.
He is looking for a Mid-Range cam for mid-range power. This guy is Harley old School. He has been on HD's for better then 40 years, but is not into the Computer Internet or use to the New Fuel Injected Bikes. I told him where I find a lot of good info, and that I would post this for him.

He would like to know that he has the power in the mid range to shift down, and be able to pass a car on the road. He mentioned to me the trick of cutting the push rods, and replacing them with adjustable one's so he would not have to take the top end apart. (something that I did not know).

Anyway, what do you guys recommend for this??

Thank you for the replies,

Bob

Old 05-08-2006, 10:46 AM
springer_
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Cam Choice - Opinions??

In a stock bike with stock compression, I would consider the 203's. They pull good through the entire range. An Andrews TW37b would work well also but likes a little more compression. No matter what he chooses, he will need to get it tuned.

Thanks

Old 05-08-2006, 12:09 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Andrews TW26 works great with stock compression.

Don't know if you care about factory warranty or not, but anything other than 203's "could" cause warranty grief. That said, I had 203's in an 01 EG and HATED them. They were horrible until 3000~3200+ RPM - then they were really strong. I replaced them with TW26's & was totally satisfied - ran great at any RPM. Again - that's w/stock compression ratio.

I am building my current bike with TW37's as springer_ suggested with a set of their (BigBoyz) heads & bore. Now if my cams will ever come in.....!!!!.....

Old 05-08-2006, 07:30 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

Springer

Are you saying that he will need to have the bike dyno'ed for a cam change?? He is figuring he can change the pipes over to the Sampson Slip ons and still run the Stage 1 down load, and not need a PCIII. He ran the same pipes on his 03 RK that was Fuel Injected.

Bob

ORIGINAL: springer_

In a stock bike with stock compression, I would consider the 203's. They pull good through the entire range. An Andrews TW37b would work well also but likes a little more compression. No matter what he chooses, he will need to get it tuned.

Thanks

Old 05-08-2006, 09:21 PM
Hyper2005LR
Intermediate
Default RE: Cam Choice - Opinions?? (same ? diff bike)

I was about to ask the same question for an 05 Dyna carburated. I have the stage 1 carb upgrade, SE ignition module, V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe HS & high flow air cleaner. Wondering which I would get more benefit from the Andrews 37G, Mikuni carb or a Crane multispark ignition.

Old 05-08-2006, 09:52 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Renegade -

I know you asked Springer_, but I'll throw a couple cents out on the tuning question.

If you want the bike to be tuned "right" and run to its potential, then the answer is you will ABSOLUTELY need a PCIII, SERT, Terminal Velocity, Daytona TwinTec, or what ever ignition / fuel tuning device. Only the "closed loop systems" (Daytona Twin Tec, Terminal Velocity, etc) will not "require" dyno time to make it right.

There is a difference in getting it to run and getting it properly tuned.

Again..... just my (unsolicited) thoughts.

Hyper - you will see the biggest gain form cams, but if you have stock compression ratio (8.9'ish:1), the TW37 may not be the best match for your bike. Be sure to get a cam spec'd for your combination of parts and designed for your riding style. Again, the TW26 is an AWESOME cam for stock compression ratio... Do your homework, or...... be prepared to be dissatisfied!

Old 05-08-2006, 10:05 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

Any and all opinions are welcome bro. I was just replying back to him is all. Thank you for the input.

Bob

Old 05-08-2006, 11:33 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Lots of guys around here have run 204's in their Big Bore Stage II modifications and have been happy.......I'm one of 'em. The fuel tuner, not race tuner, has been a very good addition to the system.
As for that Dyna owner, 211's might be my choice.........wicked fast in a light bike like that.

Old 05-09-2006, 09:15 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thinking about a cam as well. Need some feedback. I have an 05 Ultra 88TC - with Stage 1 A/C and Touring exhaust., with SERT. After the Stage 1, SERT, and even dyno'd, my bike is lacking in the mid-range. Seems the TW26 cams might just help.

What is required to install the TW26 cams? Can I do this on the stock 88 engine? Or do I need to go up the the 95/98? Also, see stuff about gear/chain driven.

Old 05-09-2006, 09:47 PM
texanharley2005
Advanced

okay well i will just add another ? to the list... What about S&S 510's...I think that was the number......Are they any good for an all around bike... Not into raceing just want some more power to get away from the cagers if needed...I have V&H pipes with the sage 1 .. I was told by the dealer that if i use these the warranty would still be okay...Changing cams plus adding gears to the cam and getting away from the chain drive on them...

Quick Reply: Cam Choice - Opinions??