Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Ping, ping, ping

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 06:10 PM
Road King Kid
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ping, ping, ping

2003 Road King - Fuel Injected
95" Kit - 10,000 miles ago
Andrews 26G Cams - 5,000 miles ago
Rinehart True Duals
Stage 1 download
DFO - Digital Fuel Optimizer

Pinging in all gears at low RPM. The pinging did not start until I installed the cams.

Friend of mine has the same problem with his 2002 Carburated Fatboy. He also has a 95" kit with cams. He and I did all of the work ourselves.

Any ideas on where to begin?

Old 04-24-2009, 07:33 PM
schmeg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More fuel or less timing assuming your compression is set appropriately for those cams. Is your squish set at .030 thou?

Old 04-24-2009, 08:17 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

take that DFO off and get a TTS or Power Commander and get the bike tuned.
also take the carb bike and get an adjustable ing. and get it tuned
get both of those bikes to dyno guy who knows what they are doing.
Tuning the bike is not just for hot rod harleys it improves the overall performance of the machine and makes rideability much better it also increases gas milage , reliability , and makes the bike run cooleer.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:32 PM
TXCHOP
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Yup and you are in Md, not to far a trip for a top notch tune at JD's!

The dfo basically dumbs down a fuel injected bike to a 3 circuit tune...That taking a step was bay in FI. Besides you cant alter timing or pull fuel with that. For not until you can get tuned, try adding fuel in the midrange roll on areas...

Old 04-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Road King Kid
Tourer

Originally Posted by SEDELUXE
take that DFO off and get a TTS or Power Commander and get the bike tuned.
also take the carb bike and get an adjustable ing. and get it tuned
get both of those bikes to dyno guy who knows what they are doing.
Tuning the bike is not just for hot rod harleys it improves the overall performance of the machine and makes rideability much better it also increases gas milage , reliability , and makes the bike run cooleer.
I have a PC III that I got from a guy who took it off of another 2003 Road King in order to have a SERT put on. I am not quite sure why he made the change other than the HD dealer told him that was what he needed to do. Didn't sound quite right to me so I gave him $50 for the thing.

1. Is there a way to run a diagnostic test a PC III to determine if there is anything wrong with it?

2. I live South of Baltimore and am a few hours away from JD's Cycle Works. Would you reccomend any tuners in the Baltimore area? There are quite a few around, but I really would like to take care of this the first time.

3. If I decided to bring it to your shop, would I be able to make an appointment and wait around while the tuning took place?

4. How long (and how many hours labor / whats it gonna cost me) can I expect?

Old 04-25-2009, 12:35 AM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

mmm... idont think you can adj timing on a pcIII can you?

Old 04-25-2009, 11:58 AM
Road King Kid
Tourer

Originally Posted by the blob
mmm... idont think you can adj timing on a pcIII can you?

I am quite certain that the PC III can retard the timing, I just need to determine if the one that I have works or not. Anybody know if I can run a test on a PC III to determine if it is fully functional?

I don't want to install it, starting burning money on the Dyno, only to find out that the Power Commander does work.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:39 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

If your bike is running like crap now and the power commander is no good it won't run. But if the guy you bought it from had it tuned to his bike, and it ran good it might help correct some of your issues. And you can go to their web site and get a free map thats close to your build. You need to be handy with a computer to download it to your pc. there's no charge and you have a list to pick from. A custom map and dyno really will wake your bike up, or just find the map and be happy with it.,,

Old 04-25-2009, 02:13 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

call ask for dave i know hes pretty backed up now but see if he can help you out
1-610-297-0321
you really need a tune the pc is a good unit JD's tunes with the power commander but the ttts is way better and you can run diagonistics with the TTS

Old 04-25-2009, 06:39 PM
TXCHOP
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Yup, like George says...Give Dave a call...Great guy and my bikes there now. I traveled over a 100 miles there passing by 3 dyno tuners on my way..

Yes, you can beschtest a PCIII. Go to their website and dowload the software if you dont have the cd. Once you have their program on your computer, just attach the 9v battery to the PCiii and it should connect. Hit get map and it will tell you what map is in there. there are a ton of animated tutorials on their site to guide you.
It also does adjust timing +/- 10 degress which is usually enough for mild builds...

Quick Reply: Ping, ping, ping