Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Starter clutch problems on high comp motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 07:32 PM
gnaz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter clutch problems on high comp motor

I have a friend with a 04 wide glide with 95"ci upgrade and 10.5:1 compression with releases in the heads. I think (not sure) stock starter. He has had to replace the starter clutch recently. It has broke again, meaning all it does is spin freely(the last fix of replacing the starter clutch only lasted approximately 50 starts). Can someone make a recomendation on how to resolve the starter problem? Is there a stronger starter for high compression motors?

Old 06-13-2009, 08:35 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

i think your buddy has more then starter clutch problems. i bet you it occures when the motor kicks back and breaks the gear. .
was the motor tuned correctly. timing ??????
also if bagger chimes in we use a diffrent gear to spin our motors over quicker i cannot remember what it was called how many teeth are on it i dont remember but Dan will know.
also at 10.5 compression and with releases he should not be breaking gears as my comp is higher then his and i have a stock starteer and standard battery i use my releases every time and have no issues .

Old 06-13-2009, 11:51 PM
TOMTOM
Intermediate

Went through seven drives. Installed the compu-fire 10/84 gearset and comp releases. since have had no falures. Mine is a carb bike and no matter but do not for any reason open the throttle while cranking. I usually bump the engine once or twice until i hear a woosh sorta like the old kickstart shovels. Then start it right up.
For some reason it seemed like my bike would shut down and leave the crank in a hard to start position every time.
Hope this helps or raises some questions/ answers.
TOMMY