Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Boarzilla w/quiet core, quieter possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 09:11 AM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Boarzilla w/quiet core, quieter possible?

I love the performance I get with my D&D Boarzilla pipe but it is just on the edge of being too loud.

I have read several threads about D&D's baffles, etc but does anyone know for sure if you can send the baffle section back to D&D for a special insert to make it a little quieter or know of another source? Maybe a special build insert if I send them my baffle?

Is the Fat Cat baffle the same diameter of the Boarzilla? Can the two be interchanged?

I do not want to neuter the system, just make it 5 or so decibels quieter.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LMAO - There is no such thing as a quiet Borzilla. Have ridden with one with the so called quiet baffle for almost two years and finally it drove me over the edge. I have modified mine with an insert and Supertrapp discs, very reasonable now as far as loudness. A complete retune was necessary though as the backpressure was increased and the A/F was a lot richer. My next step may just be to bite the bullet and buy a Supertrapp 2-1, but for now, what I have is working fine.

Phil corrected me in the post below as I indicated originally the fatcat baffle would interchange withthe Borzilla, but he is correct, it will not.

Last edited by Dalton; 08-21-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:09 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalton
LMAO - There is no such thing as a quiet Borzilla.
The Fatcat baffles will interchange with the Borzilla, but again, you really are not going to quiet it down much that way.

hahahaha!

The Zilla is just a LOUD MF'er.

D&D does offer a "quiet" baffle for it, but it's simply a standard baffle with packing.

The FatCat baffle will NOT work on a zilla. The head pipes on the zilla a a bit longer (as well as larger diameter) than a FatCat. As a result, the can on a FatCat is slightly longer than a Zilla can.

I bought a SuperTrap universal muffler (slip-on) and added threaded standoffs to the back to hang it with. It did quiet it down, but I ended up going back to a FatCat in the end.

The ZillaTrap:

Old 08-22-2009, 10:30 AM
scj
Road Warrior

Thanks guys!
I was afraid I would have to get into the baffle myself to try and make something to quiet it down a bit. There's several inches of room at the
end of the baffle to add material it seems.
A friend of mine has the exact build (engine) and he went with the new V&H Pro-Pipe HP. My bike makes almost ten horsepower over his but his is quite a bit more mellow in sound. I tried my program in his bike and it was way too rich. The V&H HP is one ugly pipe though
My bike comes alive at 2400 rpm's where his doesn't get into the real power until 2800. This is all seat of the pants feeling since I cannot get someone to dyno the bike locally.

If someone has something available, please let me know.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:55 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dalton and phil are correct i ran the quiet baffle and it was ok but not that quiet . i switched to the standard baffle in the borzilla and brought a full face helmet for the long rides much easier.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:17 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by SEDELUXE
.... brought a full face helmet
That's a great idea George!

Old 08-26-2009, 07:39 AM
gunnert
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran the Boarzilla when it first came out on a 116" motor...for two weeks. Couldn't take the noise. Found myself not wanting to roll onto the throttle because I knew what was coming. Honestly, I put it on, did a 5 day road trip with the wife, took it off and sold it on Ebay.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:53 PM
scj
Road Warrior

I have the quiet core in mine and it's just a little too loud for me. Cruising is not that bad but as gunnert says; I stay out of it because it can be painful.

Is the Fatcat standard baffle more quiet than my Boarzilla with the quiet core?

And, is my 113" too big for the Fatcat with a quiet core?

Old 08-26-2009, 05:03 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how big are the evalves in the head????
what type eof cam?
who did the head work??
what type of compression
all these will determin if the cat is good.
TXCHOP ran the cat for a yr and he has a 117 so i think you will be ok you may gain some down low and lose some up top. i prefer to run the zilla i like the power ithelps the engine make .
plus you never know what the future holds.
i may try one of these

http://www.jbvracing.com/exhaust.html

now thats a bad mother fu(ker pipe right there...ooppps

Old 08-26-2009, 08:24 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by scj
I have the quiet core in mine and it's just a little too loud for me. Cruising is not that bad but as gunnert says; I stay out of it because it can be painful.

Is the Fatcat standard baffle more quiet than my Boarzilla with the quiet core?

And, is my 113" too big for the Fatcat with a quiet core?
I've been running a FatCat w/Performance (BigBore) baffle on my 120 for well over a year and prefer it to the Zilla. It makes superior power on the bottom. Honestly, I could give **** about "numbers" on a dyno sheet & topend power ~ it's a Bagger. "Rideability" and response is what matters to me.

My setup is damn loud, but not quite as bad as the Zilla was.

It's difficult to estimate the difference (volume-wise) between a Zilla QB & FC std baffle. If I were to "guess", I'd say the FC may be a little quieter, but I wouldn't bank on too much.

The FC QB would work fine and definitely be quieter.... at least until the packing burns out.
Personally, I've bever been a fan of the way the FC QB sounds.... too muffled & dull for me.

Quick Reply: Boarzilla w/quiet core, quieter possible?