Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Any advice for cams in a dyna 107" build?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 11:31 AM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any advice for cams in a dyna 107" build?

Hey everyone,

I am going to be tearing into the Fat Bob in the next few weeks to do a 107" build. I am looking for something that has ALOT of mid range. I have a set of Andrews 54H's in my Ultra but for the dyna I am looking for something with a little more lift/duration for more mid to upper power range. I will also be having the heads re done by Big Boyz. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default cams

Look at the Andrews 67 with a little more compression.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You also might want to look at the HQ600, again with a little more compression.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:45 AM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior

Thanks guys. I'll check into them.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:44 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Mid range?? Check out a Wood 400, as long as the heads are set up to handle them, and the power delivery that that cam can generate.
Huge torque is on tap with that cam.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:40 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

If you've done your research and selected a vendor to do your head work, then you should look to them for advice on what will work best with their headwork. I may have missed it, but I saw nothing about compression ratio in your initial message.... Also, your exhaust selection will have a big influence on how much and where the motor makes power.

I'd be glad to make a cam recommendation, but it would be based on heads I am used to working with and would be meaningless to you.

Goodluck with your build!

Last edited by PhilM; 09-01-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:24 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior

Phil......I am running a VH big radius 2-1 pipe, se hi flow a/f kit and a pc 5 right now. I don't know how high on compression to go with this build but I do want to stay with pump gas(93 octane). I am using Big Boyz for my 103 heads on my Ultra but don't know which way I'll go for the 107 build. I called Hill City Cycles today and talked to a guy up there. He recommended a woods cam and their stage 4 heads. We didn't go too far into details about compression or anything but they sound like they may be a good vendor to look at. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:20 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

Given that additional info.... I think I'd start from scratch.

Make yourself a list of exactly what you'd like to accomplish with the build. Things like easy starting, reliability, "rideability", riding style, primary use, what conditions you would benefit most with power gains, pump gas friendly, easy to tune, etc, etc.... DO NOT get suckered into a "numbers" pissing match". "Numbers" don't mean dick when you're out in the middle of BFE expecting reliability & rideability.

With your list in hand and a notepad, call several vendors (Head-Quarters, T-Man, Baisley, R&R, GMR, Hillside, etc) and CLEARLY share your goals & objectives with them. Then... LISTEN to what they tell you and make GOOD notes (so you can refer back later).

Since it sounds like you have some objective in mind, talk to folks that do this for a living and let them "prescribe" a solution (package) that will get you where you're trying to go. As easy as it is to post questions on various forums and get tons of feedback, avoid the urge! Think complete package. There are tons of good (or even great) pieces & parts, but very few that actually work very well TOGETHER.

Trust me.... been there, bought that (+ this & the other x 10). Research and do it right the first time.

That 'bob will be a freak'n rocket, built and tuned right.

Hope this helps & makes sense....

Old 09-01-2009, 09:11 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

phil is right if you spoke to scott from hillside he would recomend the wood cams. iwould also . but if you are going with his stg 4 head and that compression . you better address that crank.
speed and power is not cheap.
Phil is correct make sure you do your home work and tell the builder what you would like to acheive.
a stout 107 will be in the 120 neighborhood. i would not venture into the hood with out at least welding the crank and checking it out.
then let her rip.
i prefer Baisley heads http://www.baisley.com/ super stock with the bigger valve and axtell or i would let scotty bore the stock cylinders and go with 20* domed pistons.
10.8 compression and a t-man 650 cam.
the T-Man http://www.tmanperformance.com/ 650 cam is like a woods 9f with a 4* advance in it. a real nice cam. holds power all the way to the rev limiter and pretty good on the bottom.

remember the Bob is a lighter bike so you can go a little more aggresive then a bagger. Baggers need more tq at a lower rpm to get it moving a bob you can wind it up and since its lighter you can go with a more of a mid to upper range parts

but what ever you do make sure you get a package that works well with each other.

Last edited by SEDELUXE; 09-01-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:24 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member

I remember this being a hotrod build from the Dyna forum, I would recommend a 30T pulley to go with the cam/bore/head package you choose, it's geared too tall stock. As said above when you get too wild the crank comes into play, that's another reason I'm stayin in the stockish ballpark.

Last edited by paul s; 09-01-2009 at 09:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Any advice for cams in a dyna 107" build?