Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

98 Evo Valve Train Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
Default 98 Evo Valve Train Question

I know the "my valve train makes too much noise" threads feel like horses beaten to death, but read on...

89 Wide Glide Evo, 63,000 miles, w/ Edelbrock Performer heads, adjustable pushrods.

About 30-seconds into my bike's pre-ride warm-up, a sudden onset, loud valve-train-sounding noise caused me to rush over and shut her down. After a few moments I fired up again to listen more closely. The sound was like a badly adjusted push rod, and was still loud enough to be of serious concern.

Opened the pushrod tubes and found nothing out of the ordinary. Put the tubes back together, purchased a stethoscope and fired her up two days later. Interestingly, the noise is still present but is not nearly as loud as before: not by a long shot.

The engine was not low on oil. My immediate thought was an oiling problem or perhaps a collapsed lifter, but I thought I'd run this by you folks for your insight before digging in since it's not a trivial matter. What do you think? Can a lifter "collapse" temporarily and then re-pump? How can I test my lifters? What else should I consider?

FYI, my valve train has been noisy ever since I installed a set of Edelbrock Performer cyclinder heads. Edelbrock says there heads may be a little noisier than stock due to higher pressure springs, but should not be *much* nosier. My local indy didn't seem concerned with the noise so Iet it be. Now I'm wondering if that was a good idea. It has always sounded like one valve was making most of the noise, though the stethoscope test was inconclusive.

Last edited by Z; 09-23-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:43 PM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

sounds like your losing a roller on your lifter,very common on evo`s.pull the lifter blocks and inspect them,there wil be a little side play,but shouldnt be ANY up & down play. check it before you ride it,you`ll save your self alot of $$ if caught early
kirby
vee twin racing

Old 09-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Z
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by prodrag1320
sounds like your losing a roller on your lifter,very common on evo`s.pull the lifter blocks and inspect them,there wil be a little side play,but shouldnt be ANY up & down play. check it before you ride it,you`ll save your self alot of $$ if caught early
kirby
vee twin racing
Prodrag, I suspect you've hit the nail on the head. After reading your reply I did a little checking and discovered that many folk here suggest these lifters be changed at 25K miles. I've got about 40K more than that on the clock, so I think I'll let her sit until I get this job done. I'll probably pick up a set of Ultima lifters at $90 for the set.

Thanks!

Z

Old 09-24-2009, 03:33 PM
prodrag1320
Banned
Default lifters

ide do better than ultima,ive got a ultima 127" in my bagger,like the motor,but replaced lifters at about 200 miles.lifters are the kind of thing(like an oil pump)get the best,not the cheapest.jims or S&S
kirby
vee twin racing
ps. if it is a lifter roller,inspect the corisponding cam lobe,cams are only surfaced hardend,if theres any where,replace the cam too

Old 09-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

The Moco had a service bulletin alerting that the lifters should be inspected and/or replaced at the 25,000 mile mark.
I'd get in there and hope that the cam is still intact.
Also the oil pump pick-up is just below that area, and you DO NOT want hardened bearing rollers getting in that, as a V-Twin charcoal meltdown will occur.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Z
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Hillsidecyclecom
The Moco had a service bulletin alerting that the lifters should be inspected and/or replaced at the 25,000 mile mark.
I'd get in there and hope that the cam is still intact.
Also the oil pump pick-up is just below that area, and you DO NOT want hardened bearing rollers getting in that, as a V-Twin charcoal meltdown will occur.
Scott
Thanks Scott... hopeflly I got it in time. I won't even fire it up until I get new lifters into it. Wish I knew how to inspect these lifters!

Old 09-25-2009, 12:03 AM
Z
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by prodrag1320
...there wil be a little side play,but shouldnt be ANY up & down play
You nailed it Kirby: Two of my lifters are toast. Here's a video of one of them. I'll pull the cam tomorrow, which I can already see needs to be replaced.

Scott, any recommendations on how to inspect the oil pump for bearing debris it might have picked up? Not much inspecting required of the lifters: They're all toast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEuyXIW1krk

Old 09-25-2009, 06:01 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Pull your pump down and inspect for obvious gouges, or marks on the gear teeth, and if there is, do not forget to throughly clean/replace your oil lines as well as cleaning your oil tank.
Scott

Old 10-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Z
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Hillsidecyclecom
Pull your pump down and inspect for obvious gouges, or marks on the gear teeth, and if there is, do not forget to throughly clean/replace your oil lines as well as cleaning your oil tank.
Scott
Good advice Scott: Thanks, I'll do that.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:38 PM
prodrag1320
Banned

beleave me,you`ll know if anything got in the pump,and you wont need a magnifying glass,the oil passage that scott was taliking about,make sure you clean that too,had a customer with the same prob(all too common if you ask me)bought new lifters,cam & S&S pump,went home,put it together,(didnt clean return passage)and sucked another piece of roller in his new pump,locked it,broke one of the keys,wasnt real happy
kirby
vee twin racing

Quick Reply: 98 Evo Valve Train Question