Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

building 80"(85") evo need advice

Old 11-04-2009, 11:55 AM
crazyk1le
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building 80"(85") evo need advice

hi this is my 1st time posting but ive read a ton on this site!

ok im building my evo for the street and wanna get numbers 80+tq and 80+ hp

but more important i want a broad tq band thinkin between 1500 n 5500

ive decided to port the stock heads and put in slightly larger valves from manley with a good valve job but thats where things get shady ive read woods cams are tq biased cam grinds which sounds right where i wanna be where the confusion comes in is which one is good for my settup and has anyone run these i would like to matchup everything on my heads to the cams to make the most power

p.s. anyone run that 85" rev performance big bore kit?

Old 11-04-2009, 06:51 PM
wfolarry
Tourer
Received 158 Likes on 86 Posts

Who's doing the heads? If you're set on a Wood's cam give Hillside a call. They have a lot of experience with his stuff.
I had a couple customers use those 85" kits. Made good power.They never had any problems but I'm not a fan of nikasil cylinders for Harleys yet. I don't like boring cylinders thin either. Old fashioned I guess.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:43 PM
HHFLHR
Intermediate

Headquarters System 85 is a nice kit. I had it on my EVO bagger, I was very happy with it.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:10 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Like Larry, we can't warm up to the nickel bore stuff, and prefer the cast iron. That's just us.
Good set of heads, Wood 6, cylinders bored, with Wiesco pistons, and it is that simple. Large fun.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:58 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

When I modified my original evo I had it stroked to 89 inch with a JIMS crank. With a rebore it actually made 90 inches! Seemed to me a far more effective way of improving performance. Beware - performance is addictive - I now have an S&S 107!

Old 11-05-2009, 03:43 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

..............or bore the cases, re-balance the crank(in-house) and use an Axtell Mountain Motor cylinder kit to bring it to 97".
With a little Wood 6 or Andrews 27, 95-100 hp, and 105-110 ft/lbs is within easy reach.
Scott

Old 11-05-2009, 04:02 PM
rob71458
Cruiser

Triple digits!! Gotta' like that!

Old 11-06-2009, 03:11 AM
crazyk1le
6th Gear

Originally Posted by rob71458
All gr8 suggestions I was thinking today about actual ci" n the end result versus cost n think 85" kit isn't worth a grand, the axtell stroker kit what does it involve? I don't want to bore the cases at all, dependabilty is a most in this build. I've read a few people that bore the cyl .10 thousands use complete seal rings a good cam head work (stock heads) n make great power ....I'm gonna run se or ss adj push rods n ss roller rockers tappets will prob just be stock harley (I've heard gr8 things about runnin stock over aftermarket)

Old 11-06-2009, 03:18 AM
crazyk1le
6th Gear

Originally Posted by rob71458
Ps if I don't bore the case or replace it with an ss how dependable is it? Once u get 100 hp outta it? I like the idea of the stroker kit if I don't havta bore cases if I do I would think of ss case but then cost effectivness kinda goes out the window

Old 11-06-2009, 04:00 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

The reason I bought an S&S 107 is that, having run my stroker for several years, I wanted a further boost in performance and increasing bore size on my stroker seemed the way to go. What I found is that early Evo cases like mine are not suitable for boring out, but later ones (from around 93, but I am not sure) had stronger cases and can be rebored as well as stroked. The only safe way to increase bore size for me was to buy new cases and that increased costs to silly levels, taking into account paying someone to do the work.

An 85" conversion is no more than boring out your stock cylinders to maximum rebore size and you can do that more cheaply than buying new cylinders. Stock capacity is actually 82", so the increase is not as much as it sounds. Every +.020" on the bore gives roughly an extra cubic inch.

I had my stroker tuned for torque rather than outright power and that was about ten years ago now. Also here in the UK we don't have the same high levels of expertise available that Hillside and others have. My advise is find a good builder and see what they recommend. My builder used KB pistons to increase compression ratio, gas flowed the heads, also rebuilt the crank bearings, honed them and used oversize rollers. Motor ran very smooth, better than my S&S!

Last edited by grbrown; 11-06-2009 at 04:04 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: building 80"(85") evo need advice