Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Headquarters hq95s kit.is the 11:1 comp ratio too high?!?!?

Old 01-25-2010, 06:34 PM
LEFTCOAST CARL
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headquarters hq95s kit.is the 11:1 comp ratio too high?!?!?

Hi gang,
i need a little help.
my builder is currently installing a HQ95S(Sport) kit into my '04 electra glide classic(fuel injected). he's concerned that the posted compression ratio of 11:1 is too high for 94 octane.the kit utilizes a wiseco forged 10.5:1 piston and a .027 head gasket.i assume that the head has been planed,but i don't know how much.
should i be concerned about this high compression ratio? i will also have compression releases,so starting shouldn't be an issue.
if the ratio is too high,should i run a thicker head gasket? OR can i take a mild cut off of the piston dome to reduce the compression?
your thought are appreciated,but i don't want "guesses" please.if you know-comment,if not-DON'T.

thanks in advance,
leftcoast carl

Old 01-25-2010, 07:32 PM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

depends on what your planning on doing with it,your not going to be touring with it ill tell you that,but itll be a nice hotrod.on a bike that is going to be used for REAL touring,i wouldnt go over 10.-1.just my opinion

Old 01-25-2010, 07:34 PM
skyhook
Tourer

what cam are you using?

Old 01-25-2010, 08:15 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

HQ-TC-95-S Twin Cam 95 Sport Touring 11:1 compression ratio

The following is a complete list of parts and labor required to build the Head Quarters Twin Cam 95 Sport performance package.

HEAD WORK
1) HQK-L-TC/EV-S3 (all cylinder head labor, porting, radiused valve job, chamber blend &
decking)
1) HQK-P-TC/EV-S3 (all new parts in cylinder heads, valves, giudes, seals, spring assemblies)
1) HQ-7000-E glassbead carbon out of heads
1) HQ-7008-B Machine 2 decompression holes
1) HQ-3600 Decompression valves (2) AKA compression releases
2) HQ-4527 Gaskets, head, .027" thick MLS type
1) HQ-HEAD-BOARD Fin Protector (heads bolted to this for shipping)

CYLINDER WORK
1) HQ-7100-I Bore stock (3.750”) TC cylinders to 3.875"
1) HQ-7102-C Glassbead carbon off tops of cylinders
1) HQ-CYL-BOARD Fin Protector (cylinders bolted to this for shipping)
1) CP-M5061 Pistons, forged 9cc dome

RECOMMENDED PARTS
1) HQ-4055 Pushrods, adjustable EZ install type
1) HQ-4075 Covers, used with EZ install pushrods for more adjustment room
4) HQ-4225 Hydraulic lifters, Black Ops type
1) 17033-99 James rocker cover gasket and seal set

Cam Choices as per drive type and appropriate year

1) HQ-0033 Cam, chain drive 1999-06 models (except 2006 Dyna)
OR
1) HQ-0033-G Cam, gear drive 1999-06 models (except 2006 Dyna)
1) AP-288901 Kit, gear drive install
1) AP-288908 Kit, gear drive, 1999-06 (except ‘06 Dyna)
OR
1) HQ-TC-600-HC Cam, chain drive, 2006 Dyna

i borrowed this from their site
it looks like its the hq0033 cam.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:21 PM
LEFTCOAST CARL
Advanced

thanks for your replies gents.
YES,they are the 0033 "tornado" cams.

perhaps i'm a little concerned about what the final package will net me.i haven't "toured" yet,but i was hoping to do a couple of extended rides this year. PRODRAG1320's comment about rideability concern me a little ,because i don't want to sacrifice the great experiences i've had to date.don't get me wrong;i LOVE power and feel i can handle just about anything on wheels,so i'm certain i've made the right decision.the issue of "too much compression" might just be my techguy's concern gettin' into my little beanbrain.i'd like to think that the experts at HQ wouldn't sell a package that wasn't compatible for the real world,right?
ironically,trying to contact HEADQUARTERS has been an exersize in futility.i e-mailed their techline and got a response that "we're too busy to respond here,so join our Q & A forum".of course you have to register and THEN wait for the webmaster to approve you.i might have these parts 1/2 worn out by the time i get a response.
keep the feedback comin' guys.i appreciate it.
leftcoast carl

Old 01-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Carl,
The HQ95S is an 11.0:1 set-up that is really a nice package, but you may find that availability of 94 octane fuel to feed this monster may cause issues if touring into areas that it just is not available. Changing your riding style in those cases will be necessary, being down shifting earlier and before roll-ons. If you have that fuel in your area, just tune it to what you normally have and where you normally ride and them modify as I described if you can't get the fuel you need. HQ also has a 95ST build at 10.5:1 and a 95T at 10.0:1. I would not go cutting on pistons or increasing head gasket thickness as the kit is set up to delvier a quench i the .030 range and you could screw it all up and have an ill running bike.

Doug at HQ has not been answering the phones much right now as he is in the back doing what he does best, headwork and putting the packages together. If you put in a request to join the forum it should be approved within a day or two at the most and you can get almost immediate answers to your questions through the forum. Also, there is a new retail site for customers that wish to buy HQ parts, and there is a way to contact Kevin through this new site. It is http://www.protwin.com/ . I run a full HQ120ST at 10.5:1 and have no issues with reliability. Properly assembled, a big bore engine will last a long time. Hope this helps.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:05 PM
LEFTCOAST CARL
Advanced

GREAT ANSWER DALTON...THANKS!!!!!
that's what i was looking for- the straight goods.
94 octane is readily available in my primary riding areas and i bet a small can of octane boost for those travelling emergencies could fix a short term detonation issue if it arose. this kit was purchased from another member on this forum after his customer cancelled their arangement,so the kit is a little more aggresive than i would have picked,but i bought it for a good value and intend to use all of it.i know there's lots of bikes with bigger,badder mills than this one,so i gotta think that this will still net me a solid,rideable scooter.
i'll try to be patient and wait for HQ's response(once i'm permitted to access their Q 7 A site),but the topend is already dismantled awaiting my "go ahead".
thanks,
leftcoast carl.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:47 AM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member

Wow.....So, Kevin opened his own place to sell HQ stuff?

Old 01-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by beaureed445
Wow.....So, Kevin opened his own place to sell HQ stuff?
Yep, Doug will continue to work with the HQ dealer network and Kevin will handle retail sales through his new site. The forum will still be monitored by both, as well as the moderators, so not much will change there. The new site is not fully completed yet, but it is pretty slick.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:36 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,489 Posts

You can't rely on the posted CR; your builder should know that.

The list of parts and labor that SEDELUXE posted indicates that head decking is part of the headwork package; you need to know how much the heads have been decked and your deck height to calculate CR. With domed pistons and a .027" head gasket, one would not expect much to be decked but if you don't know, you are flying blind.

Stock chambers are about 85cc-86cc but I have seen some larger. If that is the case and your deck height is near 0.00", your static CR will be about 10.6, corrected about 9.4 and CCR about 196. In my non-professional opinion, that should be about right for a well mannered build.

If the heads have been decked to yield a true 11:1 static CR, a fair amount of material has been removed and mocking up and measuring valve to piston clearance should be done. If the static CR is a true 11:1, corrected will be about 9.7 and CCR about 205. That's a bit aggressive for a touring build. JMHO

For sure have a conversation with the HQ guys before assembling; I am sure they know the chamber volume. You can verify deck height and then calculate true static CR. Definitely don't increase the head gasket thickness; I don't know much about the HQ stuff but do know that this is a package and changing the parameters will change the outcome of the build.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headquarters hq95s kit.is the 11:1 comp ratio too high?!?!?