Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Tappet Lifters: Feuling HP+ or H-D ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 03:04 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've sinced looked up Woods new lifter. It mentions about being able to install stock lifter 90 or 180 degrees out. 90, give me a break. The floating axle actually scares the chit out of me. Can't get past the directional thing for oiling with a stepped barrel and the 90 degree comment to take the rest of it seriously. Sorry.
Ron

Old 02-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rbabos
I've sinced looked up Woods new lifter. It mentions about being able to install stock lifter 90 or 180 degrees out. 90, give me a break. The floating axle actually scares the chit out of me. Can't get past the directional thing for oiling with a stepped barrel and the 90 degree comment to take the rest of it seriously. Sorry.
Ron
I am open to trying new things, but as you say, the 90 degree comment is just plain wrong. And the "floating" axle, well, it makes sense that it will distribute the load and wear to all portions of the rolling assembly, but to me, it is just one more moving part that becomes an issue. Kinda like the new 5 piece cranks that are out there for twin cams, I now know of two with low miles that have grenaded, more parts = more potential for failure IMO. But, I could very well be proven wrong.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:27 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

About this floating axle I wonder if the thing has an, "axle' like the conventional lifters, or just a device to locate and keep the wheel in place. Letting the whole wheel ride inside the lifter and bear on that. No bearings, just oil film. There would be a lot less parts.
Somewhere I have seen a lifter made this way for race cars but I can't remember where.

Ahaw---Schubeck Roller X Lifters.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 02-24-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:07 AM
Kingofcubes
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dalton
I am open to trying new things, but as you say, the 90 degree comment is just plain wrong. And the "floating" axle, well, it makes sense that it will distribute the load and wear to all portions of the rolling assembly, but to me, it is just one more moving part that becomes an issue. Kinda like the new 5 piece cranks that are out there for twin cams, I now know of two with low miles that have grenaded, more parts = more potential for failure IMO. But, I could very well be proven wrong.
That's funny, I've been using those 5-piece cranks for 6-7 years now, some on 147,155, and 159" engines and I have never had one fail. Those two that you're refering to, were the engines built by R&R or did R&R only supply the cranks?

Old 02-25-2010, 06:24 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you know something not for nothing and i am not takin sides by no means. every company has their problems wheater it be bad cranks or heads that did not match up. we have all been there and done that. i am pretty much done with the bickering that everyone including my self is guilty of.
i can tell you one thing that these forums and the experienced people on them has done to the industry is it makes the company responsible , liable and start standing behind their products that they sell now.
5 yrs ago when something went wrong it was oh well now the company is held accountable on the world wide web. This forum and maybe 1 or 2 others does not censor or show bias towards some vendors and delete the bad reports by members...
I beleive that that is the reason the HDFORUMS is so much more popular then before it has a large following of individuals that come here to help ,complain and resolve issues that they have with their bikes.. On some sites , moderators and sponsors run the sites and censor posts that are biased towards certin sponsors total BS imo.... i used to be a member of another site yes i removed myself then went back under another name and got banned because i did not give them due notice that i was back WTF. Total BS yes i know but i dont care
Here on the HD FORUMS we would like to keep this forum more of a gentlemen and lady like forum. if you cannot take a few shots acrosss the bow about what is true then imo you should remove your self and go where the cards are stacked in your favor. this is not a bash but the truth. lets all try and get along and come on the forum to help educate people about our experiences and our past mistakes so that others do not do the same.
G

Last edited by SEDELUXE; 02-25-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:23 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

George,

You are right on the money. I have never bashed a builder or a product. I have my preferences and will make them known, but never have I said to steer clear unless it is from personal experience. I do tell it like it is and then let others decide or do their own investigations. I am not a "pro" but am not a dummy either. Even in my post above, I indicated that I could be proven wrong as what I stated was purely stated as opinion other than the fact that I know of two crank failures on relatively low mile engines. I did not even mention the manufacturers name.

And for the record, to answer the question posed, both cranks were not in builds done by R&R. I am not sure if that matters though.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:03 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I think Bobbie Wood has built a reputation of designing things that flat work better than the competetion. Call him up and talk to him. He is more than willing to talk to you for an hour or so. He does not answer emails but if you call he answers and if he is in the middle of something will call as soon as he is free.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

I did talk to Bob Woods once. Easy to talk with. He put me onto the guy who did my stock HD heads. Because that guy lived close to me. He was interested in my bike and ridding habbits and very helpful.

I probably will again about these lifters.

Did talk to Bob Woods just now.
These are not like Schubeck Roller X. Everybody might have known that but I didn't. The Axle sits in the lifter body like a piston pin and has keepers on each end. The pushrod adjustment is much tighter also, not at all like stock. That alone has been a bother to me. Way more of that than needed.

Have to think about that.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 02-26-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:54 PM
hardrider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always used HD lifters, but out of caution replace them at 20 to 25 thousand miles. I do use feuling items for several of my bikes and have never had a problem,but I use HD lifters and can think of no reason to use aftermarket in my lifter bores. Woods is top quality no doubt, have heard nothing but good things. I will have to look into these new lifters, a floating pin makes sense.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:06 PM
Trex
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

SEDELUXE, I agree with your assesment of this Forum verses other Harley Forums that I have been to. I quit all but this one as it seems this one is no baloney.

Quick Reply: Tappet Lifters: Feuling HP+ or H-D ?