Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

CV carb float inlet needle valve question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 10:26 PM
jfanton
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV carb float inlet needle valve question

I have a highly intermittant problem where when I turn on my fuel valve (pingle) gas flows out the overflow hose. At first I thought I had a leaking drain screw, 'cause I've removed the bowl a couple of times and tightened the drain screw more, put it back and no more overflow. But I've come to realize that I'm having an overflow problem. I want to remove and inspect the float valve and the manual says to remove the carb. Seems to me that I should just be able to push the pin out and remove the float/valve. Is it necessary to remove the carb just to remove the float asm? Also, if I need to replace the valve, the manual says to adjust the float level. Is that necessary as well?

Old 08-02-2006, 11:53 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts
Default RE: CV carb float inlet needle valve question

ORIGINAL: jfanton I want to remove and inspect the float valve and the manual says to remove the carb. Seems to me that I should just be able to push the pin out and remove the float/valve. Is it necessary to remove the carb just to remove the float asm? Also, if I need to replace the valve, the manual says to adjust the float level. Is that necessary as well?

If there is room to access the float bowl screws and remove the float bowl you dont have to remove the carb.However,it is easier to work on the carb when it is removed.Most float adjustments are made with the carb upside down with the weight of the float on the needle.
Anytime the needle and seat are replaced,the float level should be checked and adjusted if needed.

Old 08-02-2006, 02:06 PM
jfanton
Road Captain

Yeah, I've got the float bowl off already, and I've had the carb off before, but would prefer to not pull the carb if I don't have to. From what I can see, all that holds the float asm on is a pin. So, can I just push the pin out and remove float asm to check valve and seat and see if there is any debris in there. Obviously, I don't have too much carb experience...

Old 08-02-2006, 05:30 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

To answer your question yes,but you will be much better off to remove the carb.If you suspect a bunch of crap in the carb you will need to disasemble and use comppressed air to clean out any small particles from inside the carb.Make sure the jets are not clogged.
And like I said before ,it will be easier to adjust the float IMO.
Dont forget to change the fuel filter.

I reread your thread and noticed you dont have much carb exp.If you are not comfortable doing what i suggested,try this.
Since you have the bowl off with the float assy. still intact,turn the gas on(make sure bike is outside away from any open flame)and check for fuel coming out when the float is dropped.If fuel is present then litely press up on the float and the fuel should shut off.
If the fuel does not stop flowing when the needle is seated(float pushed up) then there may be debris or damage.
If the fuel does stop flowing then I would check the float adjusment.
Hope this helps.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:23 PM
jfanton
Road Captain

1FLTRI4ME,

It's not that I'm uncomfortable pulling the carb, it's just that this is a highly intermittant problem and I feel it is debris related. In reading the manual further, I see that the float asm is held with an interference fit pin that I mentioned in my original post. Again, the manual says to pull the carb to remove/inspect the float asm, which is prolly the right way to do it. But your suggestion to turn on gas and manually activate the float is an awesome idea and I will start there. If it doesn't leak I will pull the carb and check float level.
Thank you very much...

Old 08-02-2006, 10:46 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

Did you see any junk in the bottom of the float bowl when you took it of the first time?Just curious.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:11 AM
jfanton
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: 1FLTRI4ME

Did you see any junk in the bottom of the float bowl when you took it of the first time?Just curious.
No, I did not. But then, I wasn't really looking. I would have noticed if there was something obvious though.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:40 PM
Rickgmi
Novice

when i loosen my drain screw which i do atleast every two weeks..i drain it into a thin walled clear glass i usally fill the glass up ab out 1/3 and let it sit..that way i can see if there is anything in there along with water seperation...

Old 11-25-2014, 07:30 PM
ronks2
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing make sure the gas is off bike is not in the garage or near flame etc...

I have been in my carbs too often lately and would agree with pulling the carb off the bike so you can actually see inside. If there is a problem with the seat which is non replaceable you can get some compound toothpaste etc.. and buff the seat smooth which would be to much of a hassle to do on bike. Google it or go to youtube. When carb is off tilt the carb back 18 degrees plus/minus to close the needle on the seat but do not compress the spring in the needle.

For my issue I am going to set my float a little lower than spec as I also had a leak at one point through the overflow.

Good luck!!!

Ron