Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Tech & Mechanical Forum > Exhaust System Topics
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by: Samson Exhaust

P

Old 04-15-2010, 10:54 PM
Hang Around
Default TC88 build tips required

Hi,

I am new to HD forums.com, however I have been an avid reader of previous threads for quite some time.

I am looking for some assistance on my current build. I have started building a chopper and am using a 2005 twin cam 88A as a motor. I bought this motor with only 5 miles on it as a trail of sparks left the bike unrideable. There was some damage to the fins on both the jugs and heads so I needed to change them out.

I have purchased a set of Screamin Eagle Heads (part# 16901-99 & 16902-99). I am told that these 1999 heads will work with the 2005.

I found a set of barrels with 5 miles on them off a 2006 to use and am planning on replacing the pistons with Screamin Eagle high compression pistons (part#22156-99).

I have not selected a cam as of yet, but I have used the andrews gear drive with much success in the past.

This bike will also be equipped with a weber downdraft carb.

I am looking for any tips or comments from anyone in the KNOW. Although this is my 4th chopper build, I have not had to build an engine as of yet. Infact the last time I had my motor apart it was an 82 shovel that blew a wrist pin keeper. First HD, first weekend out. lol

I see that there is a different head gasket used after 2005, was it thicker, thinner?

Thanks in advance.
sfh13
Old 04-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

Not being familiar with those PNs, can't comment much on the heads; which design? chamber volume? valve size? etc.

Don't need the high compression pistons; if the heads have the bathtub chambers, it's better, IMHO, to get the compression with head decking and head gasket thickness; easier to control quench. The SE cast flat top pistons will work just fine.

Depending on how you ride, exhaust and headwork, there is a world of cams to choose from. I am partial to the Andrews brand and I am sure you can find one of their grinds that will work for your build. You really should select the cam first and build around it.

No experience with Weber downdrafts but I expect it will be hard to tune. The stock CV carbs are cheap, easy to tune and parts available; I would reconsider the carb choice.

Just use a Cometic MLS .030" head gasket and forget stock.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:04 PM
Road Warrior

we`ve had good results with higher compresion motors with the S&S .625G cams,andrews and woods also have some nice stuff too.unless its a "looks" thing,i`de shitcan the webber
AMRA & AHDRA record holder
Old 04-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Sponsor

Good advice from Kirby on those Webers, and good points djl is making as well.
A great build we do here day in/day out is to re-work the OE cylinder head, and bore to 98", and combine it, with a Wood cam of our choice for your riding needs and wants.
The OE CV carb, while mundane it may seem, really and truely works very well.
Scott
315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Palmer Bros. Performance Products
Complete Machine Shop
Case Boring, Cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
Super-Flow Flow Bench
Crank Rebuilding
Dyno Tuning
Our exclusive Predator Series Engines
From Flatheads, to 2014 models.
"OVER 30 YEARS OF BUILDING HARLEY POWER"
Facebook/Hillside Motorcycle & Machine
Old 04-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Hang Around
Default Thanks

Great advice, yes the Weber was for the looks. These are parts that I already have to work with so I am trying to make the most out of them.

depending on who you talk to some have had great luck and power gains from the weber while others feel they are a POS.

thanks again
Old 04-16-2010, 10:45 PM

P