Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Sreamin Eagle 1340 heads

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 03:40 AM
SBC427
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sreamin Eagle 1340 heads

Screamin Eagle 1340 heads- part # 16854-98a I took some measurements on my new heads to see where there at " out of the box" this is what I found. Installed valve spring specs printed in the SE instructions read-height as assembled (1.800 in)= 155lbs spring pressure
Front head measured: intake 1.785 exh. 1.832
Rear head measured: intake 1.770 exh. 1.815
1.770 in =165lbs according to SE instructions
valve spring retainer to valve seal clearance : .7140-.7330 in.
coil bind measurement: 1.150 in.

I ordered a shim kit from comp cams to shim the valve spring seat pressures close as possible to the tightest intake valve.
The cam I am running with my new set up is a SE57 with .575 valve lift, the cam requires a spring seat pressure of 160lbs.
The SE catalog states these heads will accomadate up to .585 in. lift cam. The earlier SE catalog mentions the same heads will work with up to a .620 in. lift cam...
I spent over 1 hour on the phone with the moco, and they dont even know what the true specs are for these heads, the valve spring kit thats installed is 2 coils with a dampner
spring part #18208-06 which is not as listed in the SE catalog. The catalog states they has a double race spring installed part
Valve Spring Kit P/N 18209-06

With the above measured head specs, what is the true limitations of cam lift ?

Once broken in it will be dyno'd, to see what I get out of this set up. I may try woods cam if I am not happy with the SE57, but need to now the cam limitations of my SE EVO heads. From the measured specs I would think I have room for a .600-.650 lift cam depending on the minimum seat to valve seal measurements? Any pro knowledge would be great as I am learning more about this EVO as I go.
These are pretty impressive heads, nice Ferrea stainless back cut valvewith 2 angles cut on the intake, 2 angles on the exh, nice ports, exhaust valve seat has a nice curved radius.
These heads have a thick krinkle powder coat on the combustion chambers and in the int-exh ports(very thick powder coat) Since I am out of spare cash and unemployed, i decided to give it my best shot at cleaning these heads up, I have reworked plenty of two stroke cylinders in the past, but a bit scared of the 4 stroke heads due to one slip up and damaged valve seats, then off to the machine shop. I first stripped the combustion chamber and int -exh ports using Jasco paint remover, then sanded the combustion chamber very carefully with 150,220,400, 600 grit, then broke out the mothers mag polish. Then went into the intake and exhuast ports, cleaned up of the imperfections, blended the valve seats, got the exhaust port smothed out then polished, intake was done the same but I didnt polish out the sanding marks, I blended the intake manifold to the intake port on the head and smoothed out all the casting imperfections. Here's a few pics I am pretty happy how the rear head has turned out. I think will measure the cc's of these heads as well although if not equal to each other I am not sure the best area to remove material to match the two combustion chambers.
I pick up my cylinders and SE pistons from the machine shop Tueday, all my gaskets and valve shims should arrive weds-thursday, so I will possibly reassemble this weekend or the beginning of next week, I will post up a few more pics as I go,
Heres a few pics or just check out the photobucket album. This is around 6 hours of work, hand sanding, die grinders and pencil grinders. I am no pro, so it took me a bit of time and worn out my finger tips..
http://s1017.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture027.jpg"http://s1017.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture030.jpg

Last edited by SBC427; 05-10-2010 at 03:36 PM.