Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Couple of Q's on cam install

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 09:08 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Couple of Q's on cam install

I got the Andrews TW37B cams for my '05 Dyna Super Glide on order ... expect them in by mid-week. I've been reviewing Service Manual sections 3.16-3.18 and the sections on cam removal and installation ....

For those who've installed the 37 (Rounder, TheDonThere, JRK5892, et al) I understand they come with the outer bearings--one each roller and ball ... correct? I talked to the parts guy at the dealership and he gave me a detailed breakdown of the Screamin Eagle install kit and it includes a set of those bearings, in addition to a bunch of other stuff I don't think I'll need ... so, what gasket kit do I need ...?

The service manual shows special tools for removing and installing the bearings ... if I'm not reinstalling the original cams, I won't need to remove the bearings, and the way the manual reads, it sounds like the bearings may not need a press to install the new bearings on the cams / in the cam support plate ...?

I do not intend to replace the inner bearings, so do not intend to buy the special tool for removing the needle bearings in the crankcase ....

Did you get the cam tension unloader tool ...? It occurs to me that there is probably a 'work around' ... or shade tree engineer method for getting the spring tension off the cam chain ...? Any tips ...?

I've got approx 25,000 miles ... was thinking of replacing the tensioner, but hadn't considered there are two -- a primary (outer) and secondary (inner) -- cam chain tensioners .... Is wear pretty consistent on outer and inner ...? Did you replace both or just one ...? I guess I may just have to wait until I have it apart and then just look at it ....

Did anyone do a detailed how-to thread on their cam install ...? Sometimes just reading the manual doesn't really seem all that helpful ... it gives you the steps, but not any real practical advice ....

Appreciate any assistance ... or feel free to PM ....

R/
'Chop

Last edited by SURFOR Chop; 05-23-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:33 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I did the bearings and did gear drive. My tensioners were wiped out. I probably had another 2K left on them. You need to replace the tensioners! I also put in new lifters and S&S adjustable pushrods. You can manipulate the bearings to get out of the cam plate with your oven and icebox. I borrowed tools for the install.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:38 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chop. I don't think I can be of much help. A lot of things changed from 05 to 06. If I remember right you have to press new outer bearings on the cams.The inner bearings have to be pulled with a blind hole puller you can rent at Autozone for free. You pay a deposit and you get it back when you return the puller. I think if you start a thread in the engine room you will get some help/advice. Don
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/harle...rums/f-57.html

Old 05-23-2010, 09:12 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 05-23-2010, 09:31 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Guess I'll expect to get both tensioners ... they had several sets in stock at the local stealer, so I'll probably run and pick them up when I get it apart just to confirm how bad of condition they are ....

A thread I just looked at where a guy had to replace his shredded tensioners his bike had almost 3 x my mileage on his clock ... but, it might not be a bad preventative measure ....

Don: understand your bike has hydraulic tensioner system, huh ...?

Did you just use your original pushrods ... wasn't planning on replacing lifters or pushrods, so am expecting I'll need to remove rocker box covers and rockers ....

R/
'Chop

Old 05-23-2010, 09:48 PM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Its really not a bad job with the tools. You will have to press the old cams out of the cam plate. The bearings may come with them. (If they do, you will need to press them out, or just press in the new cams.) Then you need to install new bearings on the new cams and press them into the new cam plate.

This should be all the parts you might need.

Top rocker box gasket
Cam cover gasket
2- O-rings under the breathers
2- O-rings that go between the cam plate and block
1- Oil pump to engine o-ring
2- Tensioners
2- Cam bearings

Old 05-23-2010, 09:49 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

John thanks for the link ... good how-to with photos ....

Old 05-24-2010, 08:45 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com.au/Default....+swap+day&f=24
this guy did a 4 part series on cam swap with great pictures....

Old 05-24-2010, 01:06 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Rounder - great thread ... I can't see the pics, but I'm on an NMCI computer (can't see half the pics anyway) ....

Old 05-24-2010, 05:51 PM
roadkingharry
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Here's another link to a post that was on this forum. Great writeup with parts list, tools needed,procedures, pics etc.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-write-up.html

Most guys you talk to will highly recommend replacing the inner cam bearings with Timken B148's. This will require a tool to pull and install the bearings. A number of options are available. One is to email gary beatty at: beattygw@sbcglobal.net. He makes a puller/installer for around $85.00.

Quick Reply: Couple of Q's on cam install