Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Ticking noise on cold engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 10:24 AM
MOTORMAN7
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking noise on cold engine

Trying to search the form and not coming up with anything. I have a 2010 Tri-Glide with the 103 inch engine, everything is stock.
Recently around 5000 miles a ticking noise is coming from the engine when it is cold.
it is louder when i let off on the gas and is not heard when i give it a slight amount of gas only when cold. This noise occurs for about 1 1/2 to 2 miles and when the engine warms up it goes away completely.
I have used Amsoil 20w50 since the 1000 mile checkup. The noise was not as apparent untill the engine had close to 4500 miles. I change oil and filter every 4000 miles.
I understand that a cold engine may have more vave/lifter noise when cold, but is it normal to have it occur for a few miles. The oil pressure gauge is reading normal at around 32 psi and more when it is cold, normal running temp usually keeps it at 32 psi on the gauge.
Any ideas or is this normal on Harley's till they are warmed up a bit. The engine is running great with good power.
Ron

Last edited by MOTORMAN7; 07-07-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:55 PM
shadylane
Advanced

Primary chain? Exhausts almost rubbing something?

Old 07-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MOTORMAN7
Trying to search the form and not coming up with anything. I have a 2010 Tri-Glide with the 103 inch engine, everything is stock.
Recently around 5000 miles a ticking noise is coming from the engine when it is cold.
it is louder when i let off on the gas and is not heard when i give it a slight amount of gas only when cold. This noise occurs for about 1 1/2 to 2 miles and when the engine warms up it goes away completely.
I have used Amsoil 20w50 since the 1000 mile checkup. The noise was not as apparent untill the engine had close to 4500 miles. I change oil and filter every 4000 miles.
I understand that a cold engine may have more vave/lifter noise when cold, but is it normal to have it occur for a few miles. The oil pressure gauge is reading normal at around 32 psi and more when it is cold, normal running temp usually keeps it at 32 psi on the gauge.
Any ideas or is this normal on Harley's till they are warmed up a bit. The engine is running great with good power.
Ron
Hmmmm, I have the same thing on my 103, although it is not stock. It started at about 4500 miles and was fine when I left on a 500 mile ride and then showed up the next morning when I first started the engine. As you say when first starting, mine clatters as though a lifter has collapsed. Let it warm up in the drive and it goes away at idle in a few minutes, then when leaving under load it is fine until hitting about 2500rpm and it comes back, and is there when rolling off the throttle. Once the engine is thoroughly warmed, it is completely quiet.I am chasing this noise, having pulled the cam plate to check oil passages, collapsed the lifters with the adjustable pushrods and started the engine to rule out the lifters, measured lifter bores, checked most everything and still have not run it down yet. It definitely is in the rear cylinder, and sound like it is in the rocker box. I have pulled the rear rocker cover to check tightness of the rocker and support plate bolts. Next is to pull the plate and rockers, checking the shaft bushings and end play. I also pulled the outer primary to check if chain was tapping or loose and it was fine. This is the third complaint (including mine) that all seems to be the same issue.

If I eventually track it down, I will post my findings, please do the same if you take it somewhere and the solution is found.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:50 PM
lrays280z
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dump the synthetic and see what happens.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:57 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by lrays280z
Dump the synthetic and see what happens.
This noise is loud enough on my bike when cold that oil is definitely not the culprit. There is something mechanical going on.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:27 AM
MOTORMAN7
Intermediate

It cant be the synthetic as i changed to Amsoil at 1000 and the noise was not evident at that time and after till about 4500 miles.
Dalton i will keep looking and asking about this. It has to be mechanical as the noise is to definite. It appears to me it is some sort of clearance issue when tthis engine breaks in and things get worked in so to speak. The tolerances close up after the engine heats up to eliminate the the noise.
Thanks for the info
At least i dont feel alone in this issue.
Ron

Old 07-08-2010, 06:39 AM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

you are under warranty, let the dealer chase it. sounds like lifter bleed down to me (that's what happened on my wife's tri).

Old 07-08-2010, 06:55 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,345 Likes on 3,279 Posts

My bike has had the tick since got it and now with almost 50k it's still there....it's always there though??? Been told to go back to Dino oil but not tried it yet...I agree with what somebody else said...let the dealer chase it....I am riding mine as hard as i feel , i still have about a year left of warranty and i will trade before it ends....i have some other issues though...Arthritis is 1 of them and the bike is a bit heavy so i am thinking of switching to a Heritage or Road king??? something lighter...hell i am also looking at other brands...Yes i said other brands.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:00 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am convensed the problem with all this noise from the TC is the lifters. Nomatter how new or how cold or warm or hot or how many miles or whatever.

I have been through every bit of this valve train with a fine comb. You can swear it is coming from the rockers, (mine are S&S roller tip) but on double and tripple checking--nothing. Lifters seemed quiet but---

These lifters HD and most aftermarke use don't get the job done. Even stock spring pressure can overwhealms stock lifters. Eaton design for the SB Chevy.

Finally went to Woods Lifters and the engine got quiet.
And I have Woods 400-6 cam, Woods Springs and the assorted stuff you gotta have with this.
There is a tremendous difference from before with--- no other change at that time.

This has made this bike a pleasure to ride from a worryiesome ride.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 07-08-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Old Gunny
I am convensed the problem with all this noise from the TC is the lifters. Nomatter how new or how cold or warm or hot or how many miles or whatever.

I have been through every bit of this valve train with a fine comb. You can swear it is coming from the rockers, (mine are S&S roller tip) but on double and tripple checking--nothing. Lifters seemed quiet but---

These lifters HD and most aftermarke use don't get the job done. Even stock spring pressure can overwhealms stock lifters. Eaton design for the SB Chevy.

Finally went to Woods Lifters and the engine got quiet.
And I have Woods 400-6 cam, Woods Springs and the assorted stuff you gotta have with this.
There is a tremendous difference from before with--- no other change at that time.

This has made this bike a pleasure to ride from a worryiesome ride.
Old Gunny,

I have eliminated the lifters as the source of the noise by adjusting the pushrods (lengthening) until the lifter is entirely collapsed, in effect now a solid lifter. I have also changed out the lifters twice. This is definitely not the source of the noise.

And for those wondering why I am chasing the noise even though the bike is under warranty, it is due to the local dealers not being able to get the bike in until July 21, and even at that for something like this it could take weeks in the shop. And even thoughunder warranty, I cringe whenever I take the bike to a shop, I always seem to get it back with another problem, even for something as simple as a tire change. That and it is a modified engine - cams, pistons, heads so I wanted to ensure this was not a problem with any of the components that I installed, and it is not.

Quick Reply: Ticking noise on cold engine